Kevin D. Price vs. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources; West Virginia Division of Natural Resources – Parks and Recreation; and Twin Falls State Park
PA- Timothy P. Lupardus; J- James C. Stucky
* On July 10, 2009, the Wyoming County man was at Twin Falls State Park and was walking on a trail for visitors when he slipped and fell on the trail and was injured. He claims the defendant was negligent in failing to provide handrails, steps or other safety devices on the trail. Price is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1142
Michele Y. Ratliff vs. Gymboree Operations, Inc.
PA- Dana F. Eddy; J- Jennifer Bailey
* Ratliff was a general manager for Gymboree and Crazy 8 stores in the Charleston Town Center Mall. On Sept. 10, 2010, Ratliff claims she filed for protection under the provisions of the United States Bankruptcy Code and informed the assistant manager that she was consulting with bankruptcy counsel. Within one week, she was terminated from her employment. Ratliff is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-1187
Robert Hill vs. the City of Charleston
PA- Michael J. Del Giudice; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On May 17, 2010, the storm drain located along Dartmouth Avenue became blocked and the water that should have been traveling through the storm drain left the confines of the drain and flowed across a neighbor’s property and onto Hill’s property. He claims it caused property damage. He is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 11-C-1208
Denver’s Depot, Inc. vs. Secure US Incorporated
PA- Michael J. Del Giudice; J- James C. Stucky
* Denver’s Depot purchased a security system for its business through Judy’s Alarm Masters, Inc. on March 24, 2007. The defendant took over the contract when it purchased Judy’s Alarm Masters. On April 21, 2008, the plaintiff entered into a new contract with the defendant and it paid a fee in order for the defendant to maintain and monitor the alarms, according to the suit. On Feb. 14, Denver’s Depot was robbed after hours while the security system had been activated, but the defendant failed to properly respond and make the necessary phone calls to the Charleston police department and the plaintiff. It is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 11-C-1209
Karen Harper vs. Family Dollar and/or Family Dollar Stores of West Virginia, Inc.
PA- Maggie K. Wall, G. Wayne Van Bibber; J- Louis H. Bloom
* On July 23, 2009, Harper was shopping in the Dunbar Family Dollar store when she slipped and fell due to a slippery substance on the floor. She is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1214
Calvin B. Cottrell vs. Dolgencorp, LLC d/b/a Dollar General
PA- Cynthia E. Evans; J- Louis H. Bloom
* On July 24, 2009, Cottrell was shopping in the Dollar General and was walking through the aisles of the store when he fell on a blue liquid that had been spilled on the floor. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-1216