CHARLESTON — Republican gubernatorial nominee Bill Maloney said Tuesday’s primary election results show that Democrats have had enough of President Barack Obama.
“President Obama has failed to create jobs, launched a war on West Virginia through his EPA’s actions on coal and other energy sources, spent trillions of dollars we don’t have and shoved his health care plan down our throats, even though it cut hundreds of billions of dollars from Medicare,” Maloney said Wednesday.
Obama garnered 59 percent of the vote in Tuesday’s primary. Federal inmate Keith Judd had the other 41 percent of the vote in the Democratic primary.
“And Earl Ray Tomblin has been right there with (Obama) every step of the way,” Maloney said. “Tomblin’s continued support of Obama and his disastrous policies is bad for West Virginia. From making West Virginia the second state in the U.S. to implement ObamaCare to refusing to call for Obama to fire his head of the EPA, Lisa Jackson.”
Tomblin countered, saying Maloney hasn’t shared any ideas to help move the state forward and would “reverse the great progress the state has made.”
“We have already succeeded in one lawsuit against the over-reaching EPA and will continue to fight for our state’s energy sector,” Tomblin said in a statement from campaign spokesman Chris Stadelman. “We have cut taxes across the board to help businesses create jobs, and we’re eliminating the food tax to help our working families.
“I don’t think the way to help West Virginians is to increase partisan divisiveness or to eliminate incentives critical to creating jobs in our state, as my opponent wants to do. I truly believe West Virginia is poised for greatness, and I’m eager to lead the way as we capitalize on our opportunities.”
Maloney accused Tomblin of putting his own interests ahead of those of the state for nearly 40 years.
“The results are clear,” Maloney said. “We keep falling further behind, losing more jobs and watching our kids and grandchildren leave the state in search of better opportunities.
“It’s time for a change. I invite all West Virginians — whether you’re a frustrated Democrat with proud memories of a party that used to look out for West Virginia coal miners, a disillusioned independent voter who feels that nothing will ever change and fears losing your kids and grandkids to North Carolina like Sharon and I did, or even a Republican who in the past may have supported Earl Ray and his false promises of balanced budgets and fiscal reponsibility, only to be disappointed after the election– to join me in my campaign to bring new leadership to the Governor’s office.
“Together, we’ll make West Virginia an even better place to live, work, raise a family and create jobs.”
Tomblin thanked voters for supporting him Tuesday.
“I appreciate the support from people all over West Virginia, and I look forward to sharing our vision for the future between now and Nov. 6,” Tomblin said. “In the past two years, we have made our families safer by shutting down pill mills, banning texting and driving, and creating a registry for senior caregivers.
“Working with Democrats and Republicans, we have made our mines safer and passed responsible regulations that allow us to develop the Marcellus Shale.”