MORGANTOWN — A woman is suing Monongalia County General Hospital Company after she contracted an infection while staying at the hospital.
On Feb. 21, 2010, Deborah D. Mogus was admitted to Monongalia General Hospital after she slipped and fell earlier that evening and injured her left ankle, according to a complaint filed May 30 in Monongalia Circuit Court.
Mogus claims the defendant’s emergency department diagnosed her with a closed fracture of the left ankle with no evidence that the fracture involved an open wound, and scheduled her for surgery the following day.
Two days after surgery, there appeared to be significant signs of infection, including the presence of a foul smelling bloody exudate and cultures were obtained and identified as Clostridium perfringens, according to the suit.
Mogus claims the bacteria most commonly originates from the colon and is often found in human feces. She claims it is not a common skin bacteria and should not be found in a surgical wound of a patient who had a closed fracture of the left ankle.
The defendant had a duty to provide reasonable and prudent health care services to Mogus, but failed to do so, according to the suit.
Mogus claims the defendant failed to properly sterilize its surgical equipment, instruments, supplies, materials and personnel during or shortly after her operation.
The defendant’s actions caused Mogus to have to undergo additional surgery, long-term IV antibiotic therapy and permanent disfigurement, according to the suit.
Mogus is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. She is being represented by Dino S. Colombo.
Monongalia Circuit Court case number: 12-C-376