BUCKHANNON – A Buckhannon couple claims the sloppy installation of an air conditioning unit led to a fire at their residence, resulting in damages in excess of $269,833.00.

In a lawsuit filed in Upshur County Circuit Court, Douglas and Lynn Frashure contend that Appalachian Heating LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Allegheny Energy Services Corporation, were negligent in their installation of an air conditioning unit sometime prior to January 13, 2004.

The plaintiffs claim that Romex wiring installed by the defendant was damaged during the installation of the air conditioning unit. In the suit, they argue that the damage to the Romex wiring led directly to a fire which occurred on or about January 13, 2004.

Alleging that the fire was due to the defendant's "negligence, recklessness, and or carelessness," the property sustained damages in an amount "excess of $269,833.00." Citing a failure to properly and safely install, as well as inspect and test said air conditioning unit, the plaintiffs claim two counts of negligence and one count of breach of contract against the defendants.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Thomas H. Keadle.

Upshur County Circuit Court case number: 06-C-1

More News