MORGANTOWN - A Monongalia County man says he was harassed while employed at West Virginia University as an associate engineering scientist.
Valentino Williams filed a lawsuit June 21 in Monongalia Circuit Court against West Virginia University's Board of Governors, alleging he was subjected to "the practice of supervisors and/or other coworkers making racial jokes and/or slurs due to the color of Plaintiff's skin and/or national origin."
Williams is represented by Morgantown attorney Crystal Hawkins Castleberry.
In his complaint, he says he started in the university's Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering on Oct. 1, 2001, and eventually he was conspired against in order to cause him to quit the job.
He says he was "subjected to working conditions created by and/or known by Defendant and/or its agents that were so intolerable that a reasonable person would be compelled to quit," like the failure to renew his employment authorization card, causing him to lose work time, racial slurs, being assigned to activities he was not trained for then ridiculed for not doing them correctly and continuous harassment.
On June 22, 2004, Williams says he was compelled to resign.
"The manner of the constructive discharge of the plaintiff… by the defendant and/or its agents was outrageous," the complaint says.
Williams says he has suffered severe pain and suffering, economic and financial loss, annoyance, inconvenience, anxiety and stress and chagrin.
He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Monongalia Circuit Court case number 06-C-400
- Former owner of Daily Mail claims Gazette pushed merger without consent
- Woman sues Elder-Beerman, claiming injuries as a result of falling in store
- Kmart sued by woman claiming she was injured in trip and fall
- Man sues claiming traumatic injuries due to the collapse of apartment ceiling
- Woman sues claiming severe injuries from elevator malfunction.
- Charleston man sues debt-collecting law firm for its practices
- Clarksburg woman says city wrongfully listed home to be demolished
- Discrimination case against Andersen Windows goes to federal court
- Age discrimination suit voluntarily dismissed from federal court
- Kanawha Co. apartment owner settles sexual harassment suit