Stephanie Turner v. Lititz Mutual Insurance Company and Call Adjusting Services, Inc.
PA – Christina L. Smith; J - Bloom
* Turner claims her insurance company did not properly and promptly pay for damages to her home caused by a tree falling on it during a storm in 2004. She is asking for compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 06-C-2651
Mark Dwayne Spradlin, fka Mark Dwayne Bennett v. West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources and the Office of the Attorney General
PA – Michael D. Payne; J - Stucky
* Spradlin claims the DHHR is negligent in overseeing his family's child neglect and abuse case, which ultimately led to the beating death of his sister. He is seeking recovery under and up to the limits of the state of West Virginia liability insurance coverage for the actions and inactions of the DHHR.
Case number: 06-C-2652
Brittany Keeten, by and through her mother and natural guardian, Sarah Loudermilk v. Robert Walker, individually and as owner of 713 Coal River Road, St. Albans.
PA – James A. Muldoon; J - Zakaib
* Walker's dog attacked Keeten while she was sledding on property rented by Loudermilk from Walker. Keeten said she was not trespassing, not teasing, tormenting or abusing the dog. Keeten is claiming negligence and is seeking compensation for her expenses.
Case number: O6-C-2653
William Lee Faber v. A & I, Inc, et al.
PA – John H. Skaggs; J - visiting judge
* Faber says he was exposed to asbestos while employed by The Kroger Co. and now suffers from mesothelioma. He is bringing a 12-count suit against 17 companies, including four West Virginia-based businesses.
Case number: 06-C-2656
Andrew D. White v. Southridge Golf Range, Fairlawn Fairways, et al.
PA – Michael L. Glasser; J - Walker
* White claims he was physically attacked by patrons and staff while a guest at Southridge Golf Range. He says the assault was fault of the golf range because of serving alcohol to underage children and failing to keep the premises safe for patrons. He is seeking compensation for his injuries and damages.
Case number: 06-C-2659
Rosalie Burris, personal representative of the estate of Homer Burris v. Lincoln Electric Company, et al.
PA – Tim J. Yianne; J - Stucky
* Burris is claiming eight companies, including two based in West Virginia, are responsible for her son's death. She says in a 14-count suit that he suffered neurological damage as a result of his exposure to toxic fumes from the equipment he worked with, which ultimately led to his death. She is seeking trial by jury and compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 06-C-2661
Christina Carpenter and Thomas Carpenter v. The Kanawha County Board Of Education and John Doe
PA – Keith A. Jones; J - Kaufman
* The Carpenters claim the Kanawha County Board of Education is responsible for Christina Carpenter slipping and breaking her ankle at the George Washington High School gymnasium. The Carpenters are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 06-C-2667
The Poca Valley Bank v. Eddy G. Graham
PA - Jonathan Nicol; J - Bloom
* Graham is ordered to pay Poca Valley Bank a total of $51,422.17 plus interest accruing after Dec. 13, 2006, in the amount of $13.91 per day and costs, because of foregoing default against his line of credit offered by the bank.
Case number: 06-C-2668
June D. Puskarich, individually and as administratix of the estate of Rudolf Puskrich, Sr., deceased v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
PA – James A. McKowen; J - visiting judge
* Puskarich says her husband died of asbestos-related lung cancer, caused by exposure in the workplace. She is seeking to be fully compensated for damages from 25 companies, including 10 based in West Virginia.
Case number: 06-C-2669
Vickie D. Webb v. Verizon Services Corp. et al
PA - Lonnie C. Simmons; J - Berger
* Webb claims she was wrongfully terminated from Verizon, for absenteeism. She said she had to leave suddenly to visit her counselor after a workplace incident. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 06-C-2670
Jerry W. Bowman v. Racing Corporation of West Virginia, dba Tri-State Racetrack and Gaming Center
PA – John R. Mitchell; J - Berger
* Bowman claims he was denied admission to the Tri-State Racetrack and Gaming Center without any valid reason. He claims he has been a daily visitor since the center opened and barring his from the public place was a major interruption of his life. He is seeking to be admitted to the premises, reimbursement for his expenses and his lost of income.
Case number: 06-C-2679
Xerox Corporation v. First Baptist Church
PA – Robert L. Bandy; J - Berger
* Xerox is suing First Baptist Church in Charleston because of violations on a lease agreement between the two. Xerox is seeking $35,062.81 in past due payments, as well as $293.93 for court costs.
Case number: 06-C-2681
1st Source Bank v. Snodgrass Funeral Home, Inc., a West Virginia Corporation, et al.
PA - Stephen L. Gaylock; J - Berger
* 1st Source Bank is claiming Snodgrass Funeral Home, Inc. has breached its lease from 2000. The bank claims the funeral home owes $20,732.55.
Case number: 06-C-2708
Martha W. Taylor v. The Kroger Co. and Jim Jackson
PA - David White; J - Berger
* Taylor, a New Jersey resident, says she fell at the Kanawha City Kroger because of a loading cart that was left in a walkway. She is seeking compensatory damages in a sum not to exceed $74,999.
Case number: 06-C-2721
Michael A. Roller v. State of West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources and Kurtis Canterbury
PA – pro se; J - Walker
* Roller claims the West DHHR, his employer, let sexual harassment continue in the workplace. As a result of the harassment Roller resigned from his position with the DHHR and suffered emotional and mental distress. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 06-C-2722
- Marshall landowners accuse utility companies in lease dispute
- AG's office reaches $13 million settlement with CashCall
- Counsel: Now it's work for conservation group that bought mines
- WVU law professor's book on human rights published
- Good gravy!
- Woman claims Chesapeake backed out of mineral rights lease
- Woman says exterminator didn't pay wages after firing
- Son claims father’s death at Glenwood Park a result of negligence
- Logan man says former employer retaliated against him
- Man alleges Transworld engaged in illegal debt collection