CHARLESTON - A Kentucky couple has filed an asbestos lawsuit against 14 companies, claiming they are responsible for the illness the woman developed.
Phyllis Mae and Harold Dean Branham of Flatwoods, Ky., filed a suit Dec. 5 in Kanawha Circuit Court against several companies, including Nitro Industrial Coverings Inc., UB West Virginia Inc., formerly known as Union Boiler Company and Vimasco Corporation.
According to the suit, Phyllis Branham has been exposed to asbestos, which was a significant factor in her development of malignant mesothelioma.
Harold Branham worked for CSX Transportation as a railroad fireman and engineer from 1946 to 1991. He also worked for Ford Motor Company as an inspector and in various other industrial settings. During that time, he was exposed to dust from the use and removal of asbestos-containing products manufactured, distributed, supplied, used and installed by the defendants.
Phyllis Branham claims she was exposed to the dust brought home by her husband.
In the seven-count suit, Harold Branham claims he has lost the general services, companionship and society of his wife. Phyllis Branham claims she suffered medical expenses, extreme nervousness and mental anguish, and her enjoyment of life has been greatly impaired.
Phyllis and Harold Branham seek compensatory and punitive damages against all the defendants.
Attorney R. Scott Marshall is representing the Branhams. The case will be assigned to a visiting judge.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number 07-C-2600
- Humphreys' firm hit with another legal malpractice claim
- Jackson County residents sue state in roadway dispute
- Pennsylvania man sues developer, alleging breach of agreement
- Woman sues Nitro to stop city from assessing property fees
- Kanawha Co. woman sues after fall on sidewak at St. Francis
- Fayette Co. woman blames Kmart in slip-and-fall suit
- UPDATE: WV CALA kicks off Lawsuit Abuse Awareness Week
- AG's office files diesel engine lawsuit against VW
- Robin Davis is a conflict of interest
- New prevailing wage rates, same old problems