Adam Anderson; Aaron Anderson, by his next friend, Richard Ray Anderson; David Anderson and Michael Anderson by their next friend, Jeffrey Allen Anderson v. Bennett K. Hatfield, chief executive of International Coal Group Inc, Wolf Run Mining Company
PA – Paul M. Stroebel; J – Berger
* Four nephews of a miner killed in the Sago Mine accident filed a suit against the mine owner and CEO, seeking compensatory and punitive damages for distress suffered. Adam, Aaron, David and Michael Anderson filed the suit after their uncle Thomas Anderson was one of 12 miners to die in the accident. They claim they were erroneously told he was alive, only to be later told he had died. They seek compensatory and punitive damages for distress.
Case number: 08-C-4
Clayton Brown, as guardian for and on behalf of Clarence Brown v. Genesis Healthcare Corporation, et al
PA – Michael J. Fuller, Jr.; J – Kaufman
* Clayton Brown filed a suit on behalf of Clarence Brown, who was injured while a patient at Marmet Health Care Center. Clarence Brown lived at the facility from April 1996 to May 2007. While there, he suffered from multiple pressure sores, dehydration, malnutrition, contractures, aspiration pneumonia and infections. Clayton Brown claims the facility and all defendants responsible failed to provide a proper atmosphere for Clarence Brown. He claims the defendants failed to keep Clarence Brown from harm and caused him to suffer. Clayton Brown seeks compensatory and punitive damages to cover the injuries of Clarence Brown.
Case number: 08-C-23
Karen Harper v. Roger Hainer Insurance, Inc.
PA – G. Patrick Jacobs; J – Bloom
* Karen Harper filed a suit against Roger Hainer Insurance after she fell on the sidewalk leading up to the building. Harper claims she broke her left ankle and right foot because the sidewalk was not properly maintained. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-27
Karen Holub v. George Hill, US Supreme Court of Appeals
PA – Pro Se; J – Stucky
* Karen Holub filed a suit against George Hill, a retired Wood County Circuit Court judge, claiming he sexually harassed her and other women in the office. Holub claims Hill would regularly touch her and other females in the office and created a sexually hostile work environment. She claims she suffered mental and emotional distress and seeks punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-28
Michael Morris v. Blue Creek Gas Co., Ralph E. Blackwell, Polling Logging, and Blackwell Log Yard Limited Liability Company.
PA – Lonnie C. Simmons; J – Kaufman
* Michael Morris, a Kanawha County Deputy Sheriff, filed a suit against Ralph E. Blackwell and Blue Creek Gas Co., claiming they caused large holes to be made in Blackwell's property. Morris was called to the property to answer a call when he stepped in a large hole and was seriously injured. He claims the holes were caused by the removal of trees, which altered the landscape of the property. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages to cover his medical bills and other pain and suffering.
Case number: 08-C-31
David J. Fisher v. Veolia Es Industrial Services, Inc., a foreign corporation, formerly known as Onyx Industrial Services, Inc., et al
PA – Bernard E. Layne, III; J – Bloom
* David Fisher filed a suit against Veolia Es Industrial Services, Inc., claiming he almost died when buried by lime slurry while cleaning out the tank. Fisher claims the slurry engulfed him and pinned him against the tank. He suffered burns and serious injuries, and was pulled out just prior to being buried alive, the suit says. He seeks compensatory, general and punitive damages for his injuries.
Case number: 08-C-32
Eric D. Scaggs v. Veolia Es Industrial Services, Inc., a foreign corporation, formerly known as Onyx Industrial Services, Inc., et al
PA – Bernard E. Layne, III; J – Bloom
* Eric D. Scaggs filed a suit against Veolia Es Industrial Services, Inc., claiming he almost died when buried by lime slurry while cleaning out the tank. Scaggs claims the slurry engulfed him and pinned him against the tank. He suffered burns and serious injuries, and was pulled out just prior to being buried alive, the suit says. He seeks compensatory, general and punitive damages for his injuries.
Case number: 08-C-33
- Marmet citizens file petition to remove mayor from office
- West Virginia committed to combating substance abuse
- A letter to Secretary Kerry
- Morrisey warns of credit, debit chip card email scam
- AG's office urges caution with online holiday shopping
- SDW Electric sued for allegedly unpaid debts
- Workers accuse Republic Energy of firing over safety complaints, age
- Beckley HVAC firm seeks restitution from Norco Construction for unpaid bills
- Repo man seeks possession of final paycheck
- Woman accuses Marion Co. Coal of discrimination, retaliation