Joe Dawson v. Jackson Pierce Public Affairs, Inc.
PA – Eunice L. Green; J – Kaufman
* Joe Dawson filed a suit against his former employer, Jackson Pierce Public Affairs, Inc., claiming he was fired because of his age. Dawson, who is older than 40, was an admissions counselor for the Department of Labor's Job Corp Program. According to the suit, Dawson was fired without any warning. Dawson says in the suit that he believes his firing to be acts of retaliation, that were deliberate and intentional inflictions of emotional distress. According to the suit, Dawson has suffered humiliation, embarrassment, loss of dignity and extreme emotional distress and trauma. Therefore, Dawson seeks punitive damages and compensatory damages, for emotional distress and trauma, loss wages and benefits, plus medical expenses and court costs.
Case number: 08-C-104
Charlotte Walker v. Prestera Center for Mental Health Services, Inc.
PA – Larry O. Ford; J – King
* Charlotte Walker filed a suit against Prestera Center after the chair she was sitting in collapsed beneath her. Walker receives outpatient therapy from Prestera. According to the suit, the company failed to properly maintain a safe chair. Walker suffered several injuries, including a torn rotator cuff. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-107
James Paul Downs v. 20th Century Glove Corp. of Texas, et al
PA – Cindy J. Kiblinger; J – Visiting
* James Downs filed a suit against 46 companies, claiming they are responsible for exposing him to asbestos, which led to lung cancer. Downs worked for Ashland Oil and DuPont, where he breathed asbestos and other harmful dusts. Downs claims that along with lung cancer, he suffered great pain of body and mind, suffering, distress, fear, embarrassment, inconvenience, economic loss, including medical and pharmaceutical bills, and loss of quality of enjoyment of his life. Ruth Downs claims she has suffered the loss of general services, companionship and society of her husband. In the 12-count suit, James and Ruth Downs seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-108
Fazal A. Shere v. Marie Sindledecker
PA – Marvin W. Masters; J – Bloom
* Fazal Shere filed a suit against Marie Sindledecker, after a tire fell off Sindledecker's car while the two were traveling at the same time on Interstate 64. According to the suit, the right rear tire on Sindledecker's vehicle came off and bounced into the middle lane, where Shere was driving. Shere swerved to avoid the tire and hit Columbus Blevins who was traveling in the fast lane. Shere claims he suffered damage to his property and suffered the loss of use and enjoyment of his vehicle. He also claims he suffered annoyance and inconvenience. In the two-count suit Shere seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-112
Rebecca L. Hickman v. Larry Botkin
PA – W. F. Richmond, Jr.; J – Berger
* Rebecca Hickman filed a suit against Larry Botkin, claiming he is responsible for injuries she suffered in a car accident. Hickman claims Botkin hit the vehicle she was riding in on I-77 near Beckley. Hickman claims she was thrown forward, and immediately forced back as the seat fell back. She suffered injuries to her right elbow and wrist, as well as injuries to her shoulder, neck, back and left foot. She claims she continues to suffer from headaches due to the accident and has loss wages of $250. Hickman claims she also suffered medical bills and will continue to endure pain and bills in the future. She seeks a total of $55,719.10 in compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-113