THIS JUST IN: Kanawha County
Cara Bailey May. 30, 2008, 2:30am
Amy Clanton in her capacity as administratrix and personal representative of the estate of Ralph Clanton v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al
PA – R. Edison Hill; J – Zakaib
* Amy Clanton filed a suit against Mylan Pharmaceuticals after her husband died of an allergic reaction to a drug Mylan produced. Ralph Clanton was prescribed Phenytoin, which helps control seizures. According to the suit, Clanton noticed skin disruptions on his body and his entire eyelid peeled off after using the drug. He was taken to the hospital, where he ultimately died. Amy Clanton claims her husband would not have taken the drug if he had known of the risks associated with it. Clanton seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-918
William Belt v. Elmer Jones Jr., Maggie Jones and James L. Pannell
PA – James M. Pierson; J – King
* William Belt, a mailman with the United States Postal Service, filed the suit against Elmer and Maggie Jones, who own property in Kanawha County, and their tenant James Pannell. Belt claims he was delivering mail to Pannell when he fell in a hole and injured his neck and back. Belt claims he has a bulged disk, which caused pain and numbness. Belt seeks more than $28,000 in medical expenses.
Case number: 08-C-921
Brittany Carter, by her next friend and guardian, Mark Carter v. Kanawha County Board of Education
PA – Brian O. Casto; J – Kaufman
* Brittany Carter filed the suit against the Kanawha County Board of Education. Carter was a student at Sissonville Elementary School in 2006, when she was injured. According to the suit, she was entering the building when a door closed on her hand, severing a fingertip from her hand. The suit says the door was not equipped with any safety feature to prevent accidental closure. Carter seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-925
Sherry Muncy v. Wal-Mart Stores East, Dwight Neal and Calvin Stapleton
PA – Paul Stroebel; J- King
* Sherry Muncy filed a suit against Wal-Mart after she was fired for allegedly reporting improper conduct to human resources. Muncy claims she was subjected to unwanted and unwelcome hostile remarks , including some of a sexual nature. Muncy claims she informed the human resources manager of the conduct and was allegedly fired because of her actions. She claims her termination is a violation of the West Virginia Human Rights Act. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-946
Kelly Byrd v. Rite Aid of West Virginia, Inc.
PA – Charles R. Hamilton; J – Berger
* Kelly Byrd filed a suit against Rite Aid of West Virginia after he slipped in the parking lot of the MacCorkle Avenue store in Kanawha City. Byrd claims he fell on a drain, and has suffered medical expenses, future medical expenses, mental anguish, annoyance and inconvenience, pain and suffering and future pain and suffering. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-948
Terry Collins v. Coal River Mining, LLC
PA – Brian Ooten; J – Walker
* Terry Collins filed the suit against Coal River Mining after he was injured when a rock fell on his head. According to the suit, Collins was holding a power cable to assist a scoop operator to get across the section when he was struck on the head and neck by a large rock, which fell from the mine roof. He suffered injuries to his neck, back and other body parts. Collins seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-957