Laura Young, individually and as a parent of her minor daughter, S.Y. v. Kanawha County Board of Education, Michael D. Pack, Judy Newhouse
PA – Todd W. Reed; J – Walker
* Laura Young filed a suit against the Kanawha County Board of Education on behalf of her daughter, who was a fifth grade student at Bonham Elementary during the 2007-08 school year. Young claims her daughter was mistreated, humiliation and abused by her substitute teacher, Judy Newhouse. Young claims Newhouse mistreated her daughter and singled her out in front of the classroom several times. Young seeks immediate termination of Newhouse and suspension of the school's principal. She also seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-958
Eugenia D. Comer v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
PA – Stephen Gaylock; J – King
* Eugenia Comer filed a suit against Wal-Mart after she was injured in a Kanawha County location. According to the suit, a Wal-Mart employee was on a ladder when he fell off the ladder and hit Comer. Comer claims she was injured and has been disabled. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-959
Landon Keesee v. Turnpike Ford, Inc., Stephen F. Parsons
PA – Thomas H. Peyton; J – Kaufman
* Landon Keesee filed a suit against Turnpike Ford, claiming he was fired because of his age. Keesee, 61, worked as a manager at Turnpike Ford from 1989 to 2008. He claims he was fired because of his age, which is a violation of the West Virginia State Code. He seeks compensatory damages, as well as an education program that will enlighten the company on the prevention of age discrimination in the work place.
Case number: 08-C-960
Charles H. Teel v. Joe Holland Chevrolet, Inc., Floorpro, Inc.
PA – L. Lee Javins, II; J – Bloom
* Charles Teel filed the suit against Joe Holland Chevrolet and Floorpro, Inc. Teel was a service adviser at the South Charleston facility. According to the suit, the dealership hired Floorpro to paint concrete floors in a new service facility. However, Teel claims Floorpro failed to add a non-skid additive to the paint, which made the floor extremely slippery. Teel slipped on the floor and suffered a torn meniscus and ACL. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-964
Carolyn S. Hart and Thomas E. Hart v. Sissonville Foodland, Hudson Hamady
PA – J. Mitchell, Sr.; J – Stucky
* Carolyn and Thomas Hart filed a suit against Sissonville Foodland, after Carolyn was injured when she tripped on cracks near the store's entrance. According to the suit, Hart claims the fall placed her in a weakened condition, which later caused her to fall and fracture her arm. She also suffered injuries to her left hip, left arm, hands and her left knee. She seeks compensation for her losses and damages.
Case number: 08-C-976