PARKERSBURG - In looking for new clients, a Wood County attorney had to go no further than his driveway following a 2007 car wreck.
In a lawsuit filed May 15 in Wood Circuit Court, William G. Powell and his wife Deborah allege both their car was damaged, and they were injured following a collision with a car driven by Daniel Ludwig. The collision, records show, occurred on May 16, 2007.
According to the complaint, William, 59, and Deborah, 51, were traveling along W.Va. 14 when attempting "to make a left turn into their driveway when Defendant carelessly, recklessly, and negligently struck [their] vehicle in the rear at a high rate of speed with such force that it knocked [the] vehicle off the highway." No other details of the accident are given except that both the Powells and Ludwig were traveling southbound on Route 14.
Records show Ludwig, 25, lives in Elizabeth in Wirt County.
No specifics are given, but the Powells allege as a result of the collision they "suffered bodily injuries, pain and suffering and medical expenses." Also, following the wreck they had to invest $15,000 into repairing their car which diminished its value by $4,000.
The make and model of the Powell's vehicle is not specified in court records.
The Powells are asking for unspecified damages for the injuries they sustained, but they be awarded $4,000 of the car's diminished value.
William, who is sole proprietor attorney in downtown Parkersburg, is representing both he and Deborah in the case.
As of presstime, the case had not been assigned to a judge.
Wood Circuit Court case number: 09-C-263
- AG's office files complaint against alarm company
- Morrisey praises USSC ruling on church rights
- Justice remand United Bank fraud case
- Dirt biker blames CSX, others for injuries
- State Farm agent sues over assistant’s job move
- Woman accuses nursing home of neglect
- Miner alleges employer broke law following injury
- Former judge alleges libel, malicious prosecution
- Couple invokes lemon law in Chevy purchase
- Customer blames grocer after slip and fall