THIS JUST IN: Kanawha County
Juanita Mullins v. Video Village LLC
PA – Mark E. Wills; J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff claims she fell over an unmarked step in the parking lot of the Video Village store in Hugheston and has racked up $34,023 in medical bills as a result.
Case number: 09-C-944
Michael S. Moses v. West Virginia University Board of Governors and Charleston Area Medical Center
PA – Robert V. Berthold; J – Louis Bloom
* Moses claims he underwent a laparoscopic appendectomy and developed complications. He claims surgeons then damaged his spleen during a follow-up surgery.
Case number: 09-C-946
West Virginia Attorney General Darrell McGraw v. Community Support Inc.
PA – Christopher Hedges; J – Tod Kaufman
* McGraw is joining at least 30 other states in suing the defendant company, a professional fundraising firm out of Milwaukee, Wis., for misleading potential donors.
Case number: 09-C-947
Goode's Ventilation and Mining Supplies v. Appalachian Premium Fuels
PA – Harold B. Wolfe III; J – James Stucky
* The plaintiff company, based in Beckley, claims it sold and delivered various goods to Kanawha mines operated by the defendant beginning in Nov. 2008. The plaintiffs say the defendants stopped paying on invoices in January and owe $87,496.
Case number: 09-C-948
Thomas Sign and Awning Company v. Ohio County Development Authority
PA – Gene W. Bailey; J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiffs say the defendants, a public body, owes $28,278 for a sign the plaintiffs made and installed at a new Best Buy store at a shopping center outside Wheeling.
Case number: 09-C-950
Angel Goff v. West Virginia Division of Corrections
PA – Craig B. Griffin; J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff says she suffered a bad chemical burn when she was an inmate at Pruntytown Correctional Center and ordered to clean kitchen equipment without being provided protective gear.
Case number: 09-C-956
Debra Brooks v. Capitol Mini Storage
PA – Michael J. Del Giudice; J – James Stucky
* The plaintiff claims that property she had stored at the defendant's Kanawha Turnpike facility was damaged by water and mold to the tune of $10,666.
Case number: 09-C-963
Thomas Hardy v. City of Montgomery, Matthew Leavitt and Shawn Hutchinson
PA – Travis E. Ellison; J – Charles King
* The plaintiff claims Leavitt and Hutchinson, police officers for Montgomery, manhandled and injured him without provocation in 2008.
Case number: 09-C-964
Deneen Obey, as parent of Chyna Obey, a minor v. City of Montgomery, Matthew Leavitt and D.W. Adams
PA – Travis E. Ellison; J – James Stucky
* The plaintiffs claim Leavitt and Adams both slammed Chyna against a wall and subjected her to verbal and emotional abuse during a confrontation in 2008. The lawsuit says Chyna was three months pregnant at the time.
Case number: 09-C-965
Amanda Howell v. Pamela Ross and Benny Ross
PA – Pro se; J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff says she's buying a house in Ohley and the defendants are blocking the only access she has to the house. She's seeking an temporary injunction and a right-of-way.
Case number: 09-C-966
Eleanor Davis v. Chapman Funeral Home and Pauley Funeral Home
PA – Michael Clifford; J – Jennifer Bailey
* The plaintiff is suing over the alleged unauthorized cremation of her deceased husband in December 2007.
Case number: 09-C-967
William Platt, executor of the estate of Marjorie Platt v. Thomas Memorial Hospital
PA – Andrew L. Paternostro and Robert W. Absten; J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff blames the hospital for contributing to Marjorie's death after a bad fall while she was admitted for management of Alzheimer's dementia.
Case number: 09-C-970
Kaye Townsend v. Casino Connections LLC and Adamar of New Jersey, doing business as Tropicana Casino and Resort
PA – Brian Casto; J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiff is suing after breaking her ankle from a fall in the bathroom at the Tropicana. She says she was on a trip coordinated by Casino Connections, a company based locally.
Case number: 09-C-971