CHARLESTON -- A Kentucky woman is suing CSX Transportation, Inc., for her husband's wrongful death in an asbestos-related suit.
Mary F. Thompson's husband, William D. Thompson, was employed by the defendant from 1971 until 1988, according to a complaint filed April 9 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Mrs. Thompson claims during her late husband's employment, he was exposed to toxic substances, including asbestos, chemicals and diesel exhaust, which in whole or in part, caused him to develop lung cancer.
Mr. Thompson was diagnosed with lung cancer July 10, 2008, according to the suit.
CSX failed to provide a reasonably safe work environment; furnish Mr. Thompson with safe and suitable tools and equipment; warn Mr. Thompson of the true nature and hazardous effects of the asbestos, chemicals and diesel fumes; test asbestos-containing products prior to requiring employees to work with them; and formulate and implement a safe method for handling asbestos, chemicals and diesel fumes, according to the suit.
Mrs. Thompson claims as a result of CSX's negligence, Mr. Thompson suffered great pain, mental anguish and severe injuries.
Mrs. Thompson is seeking damages for her husband's personal injury and wrongful death. She is being represented by James A. McKowen and John E. Guerry III.
The case has been assigned to a visiting judge.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-674