CHARLESTON -- A former inmate is suing five correctional officers and the West Virginia Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority after she claims they sexually harassed, assaulted and abused her during her incarceration.
Toni Purdom was incarcerated at the Southern Regional Jail when she was sexually harassed, assaulted and abused by Steven Gillespie, Gary Grimes, Christopher Dameron, James Prince and John Doe, according to a complaint filed June 30 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Purdom claims she has suffered anxiety; humiliation; annoyance and inconvenience; invasion of privacy; emotional distress; pain and suffering; mental anguish; loss of her ability to enjoy life; future medical and pharmaceutical expenses; and other damages.
The West Virginia jail authority negligently failed to supervise Gillespie, Grimes, Dameron, Prince and Doe; negligently failed to properly train them; negligently retained their employment; negligently hired them; negligently staffed the Southern Regional Jail; and negligently failed to intervene on Purdom's behalf, according to the suit.
Purdom is seeking compensatory and punitive damages. She is being represented by Matthew J. Woelfel.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Louis Bloom.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-1189
- Federal jury awards $1.6M to Ohio woman in DuPont C8 lawsuit
- Traders Bank sues to recover allegedly unpaid portion of loan
- Mining companies sued after Justice man suffers severe head trauma in workplace accident
- Couple files suit to recoup costs to fix allegedly shoddy renovation work
- Woman sues chief correctional officer over sexual abuse claims
- Former inmate sues Correctional Facility Authority for copies of videos and photos
- Kanawha Co. woman sues Rite Aid, claiming botched drug prescriptions
- Ex-employee of Huntington Bancshares sues over alleged sexual harassment, termination
- Therapist sues Select Specialty Hospital, alleging FMLA violation
- Laboratory Corp. of America warehouse worker claims he was terminated due to disability, age