MORGANTOWN -- A Greene County, Pa., couple is suing Morgantown Surgical Associates and Monongalia County General Hospital for medical negligence after a breast biopsy.
Drs. Mark L. Johnson, Jerome G. Johnson and Mary F. Edwards and an unknown individual were also named as defendants in the suit.
On June 11, 2008, Louise DeVault presented to Monongalia County General Hospital for medical care, including an ultrasound guided biopsy of a mass in her left breast, according to a complaint filed Sept. 7 in Monongalia Circuit Court.
DeVault claims Mark. L. Johnson "negligently, carelessly and/or recklessly provided medical care...injuring her left mammary artery..."
After sustaining injury to her left mammary artery, DeVault was taken to the emergency department where she was treated and/or evaluated by the defendants, according to the suit.
DeVault claims the defendants failed to timely diagnose and/or treat her injuries and failed to exercise the degree of skill, care and caution required of a physician under the circumstances.
The defendants failed to utilize proper techniques when performing the ultrasound guided biopsy; failed to properly and timely diagnose her condition; failed to properly and timely treat her condition; failed to take reasonable and necessary efforts to correct, prevent or otherwise mitigate the injuries sustained by the plaintiff; and failed to exercise the degree of skill, care and caution required under the circumstances, according to the suit.
DeVault and her husband, Leonard DeVault are seeking compensatory and punitive damages. They are being represented by Carl N. Frankovitch and Mark A. Colantonio.
Monongalia Circuit Court case number: 10-C-617
- AG's office files complaint against alarm company
- Morrisey praises USSC ruling on church rights
- Justice remand United Bank fraud case
- Dirt biker blames CSX, others for injuries
- State Farm agent sues over assistant’s job move
- Woman accuses nursing home of neglect
- Miner alleges employer broke law following injury
- Former judge alleges libel, malicious prosecution
- Couple invokes lemon law in Chevy purchase
- Customer blames grocer after slip and fall