MORGANTOWN -- A Greene County, Pa., couple is suing Morgantown Surgical Associates and Monongalia County General Hospital for medical negligence after a breast biopsy.
Drs. Mark L. Johnson, Jerome G. Johnson and Mary F. Edwards and an unknown individual were also named as defendants in the suit.
On June 11, 2008, Louise DeVault presented to Monongalia County General Hospital for medical care, including an ultrasound guided biopsy of a mass in her left breast, according to a complaint filed Sept. 7 in Monongalia Circuit Court.
DeVault claims Mark. L. Johnson "negligently, carelessly and/or recklessly provided medical care...injuring her left mammary artery..."
After sustaining injury to her left mammary artery, DeVault was taken to the emergency department where she was treated and/or evaluated by the defendants, according to the suit.
DeVault claims the defendants failed to timely diagnose and/or treat her injuries and failed to exercise the degree of skill, care and caution required of a physician under the circumstances.
The defendants failed to utilize proper techniques when performing the ultrasound guided biopsy; failed to properly and timely diagnose her condition; failed to properly and timely treat her condition; failed to take reasonable and necessary efforts to correct, prevent or otherwise mitigate the injuries sustained by the plaintiff; and failed to exercise the degree of skill, care and caution required under the circumstances, according to the suit.
DeVault and her husband, Leonard DeVault are seeking compensatory and punitive damages. They are being represented by Carl N. Frankovitch and Mark A. Colantonio.
Monongalia Circuit Court case number: 10-C-617
- Morrisey: States have no legal obligation to comply with halted Clean Power Plan
- Legal assistant loses 110 pounds, makes it on magazine cover
- Man blames state DOH for Mingo Co. accident
- Justices order new 'in camera' review of documents
- Morrisey to meet with state law firms
- Landowners accuse Capital Land Services, others of breach of mineral lease contracts
- Worker injured on construction project alleges Triton violated safety standards
- Bank officer accuses MetLife of refusing to honor her disability claim
- Customer blames casino for torn rotator cuff in slip-and-fall incident
- Tobacco-shops firm accused of defaulting on note