WILLIAMSON -- A Mingo County man is suing Speedway SuperAmerica after he claims it sold alcohol to a minor and caused him to be injured.
Michael Blankenship, George Underwood and AllState Insurance Company were also named as defendants in the suit.
On Sept. 1, 2008, Robert H. Philpott, who was under the age of 18 years old, was a passenger in a vehicle operated by Blankenship, who was 18 years old, according to a complaint filed Aug. 27 in Mingo Circuit Court.
Philpott claims Underwood, who was employed by Speedway SuperAmerica, negligently, carelessly, wrongfully and/or intentionally sold alcoholic beverages to Blankenship, while he knew or should have known that Blankenship was driving or could be driving a vehicle.
As a result of the negligence, Blankenship became intoxicated after ingesting a large amount of alcohol and wrecked his vehicle, according to the suit.
Philpott claims he incurred medical bills and expenses; suffered physical and mental pain and emotional distress; was disfigured; suffered a permanent disability; lost enjoyment of life; lost income; and was damaged in other ways.
Philpott is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by Marvin W. Masters.
Mingo Circuit Court case number: 10-C-257
- Federal jury awards $1.6M to Ohio woman in DuPont C8 lawsuit
- Traders Bank sues to recover allegedly unpaid portion of loan
- Mining companies sued after Justice man suffers severe head trauma in workplace accident
- Couple files suit to recoup costs to fix allegedly shoddy renovation work
- Woman sues chief correctional officer over sexual abuse claims
- Former inmate sues Correctional Facility Authority for copies of videos and photos
- Kanawha Co. woman sues Rite Aid, claiming botched drug prescriptions
- Ex-employee of Huntington Bancshares sues over alleged sexual harassment, termination
- Therapist sues Select Specialty Hospital, alleging FMLA violation
- Laboratory Corp. of America warehouse worker claims he was terminated due to disability, age