CHARLESTON -- A Kanawha County man is suing Charleston Area Medical Center and one of its physicians for the death of his wife.
On Jan. 3, 2009, Linda L. Campbell presented to CAMC Urgent Care Center complaining of severe and chronic chest pain and arm pain, according to a complaint filed Nov. 29 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Dr. Daniel Lee Smith, an employee of CAMC, "negligently diagnosed Mrs. Campbell with bronchitis and arm pain and sent her home," according to the suit.
Steven M. Campbell claims Smith failed to perform any tests, failed to document the reason tests were not performed and failed to refer his wife to the hospital in order to have the "potentially life threatening diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome ruled out."
On Jan. 4, 2009, Mrs. Campbell was sitting on the couch with her husband and suffered cardiac arrest, according to the suit.
Mr. Campbell claims he performed CPR until an ambulance arrived and Mrs. Campbell was transported to the hospital, where she remained until her death the following day as a result of a myocardial infarction.
The defendants owed a duty to skillfully, prudently and thoroughly diagnosed, care, treat, advise and observe Mrs. Campbell, but failed to do so, according to the suit.
Mr. Campbell claims the defendants are responsible for his wife's death.
Mr. Campbell is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by W. Stuart Calwell and Melissa H. Luce.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge James C. Stucky.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-2156
- Marshall landowners accuse utility companies in lease dispute
- AG's office reaches $13 million settlement with CashCall
- Counsel: Now it's work for conservation group that bought mines
- WVU law professor's book on human rights published
- Good gravy!
- Woman claims Chesapeake backed out of mineral rights lease
- Woman says exterminator didn't pay wages after firing
- Son claims father’s death at Glenwood Park a result of negligence
- Logan man says former employer retaliated against him
- Man alleges Transworld engaged in illegal debt collection