CHARLESTON -- A Kanawha County man is suing Charleston Area Medical Center and one of its physicians for the death of his wife.
On Jan. 3, 2009, Linda L. Campbell presented to CAMC Urgent Care Center complaining of severe and chronic chest pain and arm pain, according to a complaint filed Nov. 29 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Dr. Daniel Lee Smith, an employee of CAMC, "negligently diagnosed Mrs. Campbell with bronchitis and arm pain and sent her home," according to the suit.
Steven M. Campbell claims Smith failed to perform any tests, failed to document the reason tests were not performed and failed to refer his wife to the hospital in order to have the "potentially life threatening diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome ruled out."
On Jan. 4, 2009, Mrs. Campbell was sitting on the couch with her husband and suffered cardiac arrest, according to the suit.
Mr. Campbell claims he performed CPR until an ambulance arrived and Mrs. Campbell was transported to the hospital, where she remained until her death the following day as a result of a myocardial infarction.
The defendants owed a duty to skillfully, prudently and thoroughly diagnosed, care, treat, advise and observe Mrs. Campbell, but failed to do so, according to the suit.
Mr. Campbell claims the defendants are responsible for his wife's death.
Mr. Campbell is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by W. Stuart Calwell and Melissa H. Luce.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge James C. Stucky.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-2156
- Former owner of Daily Mail claims Gazette pushed merger without consent
- Woman sues Elder-Beerman, claiming injuries as a result of falling in store
- Kmart sued by woman claiming she was injured in trip and fall
- Man sues claiming traumatic injuries due to the collapse of apartment ceiling
- Woman sues claiming severe injuries from elevator malfunction.
- Charleston man sues debt-collecting law firm for its practices
- Clarksburg woman says city wrongfully listed home to be demolished
- Discrimination case against Andersen Windows goes to federal court
- Age discrimination suit voluntarily dismissed from federal court
- Kanawha Co. apartment owner settles sexual harassment suit