Sandra Stanley vs. HCR Manorcare West Virginia Properties, LLC
PA- Todd S. Bailess; J- Carrie Webster
* Stanley was employed by the defendant until her discharge on April 28, 2010. She claims she was not paid her final wages within 72 hours of discharge. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-192
Kimberly Wills vs. General Motors Corporation and Joe Holland Chevrolet, Inc.
PA- David L. Grubb, Cameron S. McKinney; J- Carrie Webster
* On June 15, 2010, Wills purchased a 2010 Chevrolet Impala from the defendants. She claims the vehicle was defective. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-214
Gary Levis vs. Bluegrass Marine, LLC and Marquette Transportation Company, LLC
PA- Timothy P. Rosinsky, Scott A. Damron; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Sept. 14, 2009, Levis was on a tow when it became grounded and one barge broke loose from the tow. Levis claims he and another deck crew member caught the barge and tied it off to the side of the tow when they were ordered to maneuver the barge back to the head of the tow. As the crew was performing the assigned task, the tow moved unexpectedly and caused a line Levis had previously been working to tighten and spring across the area where he was standing. Levis claims the line caught his right leg and dragged him across the tow and into a kevel, which "traumatically tore plaintiff's lower leg almost completely from his body." Levis is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-216
Ruth Jacobs and Sheldon Jacobs vs. Mike Enyart & Sons, Inc. and Miss Utility of West Virginia, Inc.
PA- G. Patrick Jacobs; J- James C. Stucky
* In March 2010, Enyart & Sons was engaged in busting and removing asphalt on the roadway on 87th Street in Marmet near the Jacobs' home. The couple claims soon after they began to experience cracks and other problems to their home. They claim the defendants were negligent in construction, engineering and mapping methods in the removal of the asphalt. They are seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-234
Barbara Holmes, personal representative of the Estate of Helen Meadows vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc. d/b/a Charleston Area Medical Center; Beverly Enterprises-West Virginia, Inc. d/b/a Beverly Health Care Center a/k/a Golden Living Center-Riverside; GGNSC St. Albans, LLC; GGNSC Clinical Services, LLC; Beverly Health and Rehabilitation Services, Inc.; Golden Gate National Senior Care, LLC; Teays Valley Haven Limited Partnership d/b/a Teays Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center a/k/a Teays Valley Center; and Genesis Healthcare Corporation
PA- Andrew L. Paternostro, Jeff D. Stewart; J- Charles King
* Meadows was a nursing home resident of the defendants. Holmes claims her mother was neglected during her time at the nursing home. Holmes is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-244
Brenda S. Bragg, personal representative of the Estate of Ann Gore vs. Marmet SNF Operations, LLC d/b/a Marmet Center; and Genesis Healthcare Corporation
PA- Andrew L. Paternostro, Jeff D. Stewart; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* Gore was a nursing home resident of the defendants in 2008 and 2009. Bragg claims her mother was neglected during her time at the nursing home. Bragg is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-250
Raymond Bittner vs. Ajax Magnethermic Corporation; AK Steel Corporation; Allegheny Energy, Inc. et al
PA- Brian A. Prim; J- visiting
* Bittner claims the 88 defendants are responsible for his colon cancer. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-256
James R. Morris vs. Maxim Crane Works, LP, and Jon Asbury
PA- Constance H. Weber, Erin J. Webb; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* Morris was employed by the defendants until Aug. 20, 2010. He claims his employment was terminated because of his age and his disability. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-258
David McDermott vs. Brand Energy Services, LLC; Bayer Corporation; and Scott Blankenship
PA- Toby J. Buel Jr.; J- Louis Bloom
* McDermott was employed by the defendants. On Nov. 19, 2010, McDermott was injured while walking up a set of stairs to a break room. McDermott claims he was told by Dr. Allen Young at St. Mary's Medical Center that he had suffered a knee injury and that he should not do any climbing, extending walking or physical labor. He claims Blankenship informed Young that it was against Brand Energy Services policy to accept doctor's orders with physical working restrictions and "demanded that Dr. Allen Young send plaintiff back to work with no restrictions," to which the physician complied. McDermott claims after four days, his employment was terminated. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-267
Ramona and Edwin Tabor vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc.
PA- Shannon M. Bland; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* Ramona Tabor was employed by the defendant. On Feb. 17, 2009, Ramona Tabor claims she sustained an injury to her back while moving boxes of produce. On March 12, 2009, she claims her employment was terminated. The Tabors are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-268
Melissa Greene-Zent vs. Daniel J. Wood, M.D.
PA- Scott Kaminski; J- Charles King
* Greene-Zent was employed by the defendant until July 14, 2010. She claims the defendant's improper gender-based actions became so intolerable so as to force her to resign with no other alternative. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-277
- Steptoe & Johnson names new Chief Information Officer
- Morrisey announces new additions to office staff
- Slip and fall accident leads to suit against local Walmart store
- Huntington nursing home abuse case removed to federal court
- Coal miner sues after allegedly suffering head injuries on job site
- Man accuses Southern Coal Corporation of wrongful termination
- Career employee charges Lowe’s with age discrimination in job loss
- WVU wrongful termination suit goes to federal court
- Ohio couple says Cook's Heating & Cooling breached contract
- Woman accuses welfare group, Goodwill of race discrimination