CHARLESTON – Massey Energy Co. has said it has completed a legal settlement with the family of another victim of the Upper Big Branch Mine explosion in Raleigh County last year.
Massey revealed the settlement in its annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 1.
The filing offers no details, but states that an agreement with a fourth family has received court approval.
Massey said after the third quarter, it had reached settlements with seven families and received court approval for three of the settlements.
The company also faces two wrongful death suits filed by victims' families.
The April 5, 2010, explosion killed 29 miners and injured two others. Massey remains the subject of criminal and civil investigations, and the mine's chief of security was charged with two federal felonies on Feb. 28 after he allegedly lied to investigators and tried to destroy mine records.
- Morrisey: States have no legal obligation to comply with halted Clean Power Plan
- Legal assistant loses 110 pounds, makes it on magazine cover
- Man blames state DOH for Mingo Co. accident
- Justices order new 'in camera' review of documents
- Morrisey to meet with state law firms
- Landowners accuse Capital Land Services, others of breach of mineral lease contracts
- Worker injured on construction project alleges Triton violated safety standards
- Bank officer accuses MetLife of refusing to honor her disability claim
- Customer blames casino for torn rotator cuff in slip-and-fall incident
- Tobacco-shops firm accused of defaulting on note