CHARLESTON -- A Clarksburg woman is suing Charleston Area Medical Center after the room she stayed in had a bed bug infestation.
On Aug. 31, 2009, Peggy Starky was a guest at Charleston Area Medical Center's CAMC Medical Center Inn in Charleston, according to a complaint filed Aug. 23 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Starkey claims she entered a one-night lease agreement with the defendant for a room and the defendant represented that the guest room was clean and habitable.
During the course of her lodging, Starkey was exposed to a bed bug infestation in her guest room and was bitten numerous times, according to the suit.
Starkey claims after being bitten, she complained to the defendant, who recommended that she go to CAMC Memorial Emergency Room for medical treatment.
Upon presenting to the emergency room, Starkey complained of intense itching, pock marks, rashes, possible scarring, public humiliation and associated psychiatric injuries, according to the suit.
Starkey claims the defendant had a duty to maintain its guest rooms in a clean, fit and habitable manner and free from beg bug, pest or other infestations.
The defendant was negligent in maintaining the guest room and caused Starkey's injuries, according to the suit.
Starkey is seeking compensatory and punitive damages. She is being represented by Jon D. Hoover.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Jennifer Bailey.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 11-C-1450
- Suit claims Marcum & Associates owes sum for unpaid goods
- Suit claims University Physicians and Surgeons failed to pay employees in timely manner
- Morrisey, Texas AG urge feds before climate summit
- Chester mayor challenges city council bid of negligence
- Owners of modular home accuse manufacturer of negligence
- Inmate says Charleston officers used racial slurs, excess force
- Railroad worker says logging firm negligent in hiring
- Wyoming Co. miner accuses coal mines of harmful safety violations
- Winfield files petition over rejection of annexation request
- AG announces mobile office hours for December