CHARLESTON -- A Clarksburg woman is suing Charleston Area Medical Center after the room she stayed in had a bed bug infestation.
On Aug. 31, 2009, Peggy Starky was a guest at Charleston Area Medical Center's CAMC Medical Center Inn in Charleston, according to a complaint filed Aug. 23 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Starkey claims she entered a one-night lease agreement with the defendant for a room and the defendant represented that the guest room was clean and habitable.
During the course of her lodging, Starkey was exposed to a bed bug infestation in her guest room and was bitten numerous times, according to the suit.
Starkey claims after being bitten, she complained to the defendant, who recommended that she go to CAMC Memorial Emergency Room for medical treatment.
Upon presenting to the emergency room, Starkey complained of intense itching, pock marks, rashes, possible scarring, public humiliation and associated psychiatric injuries, according to the suit.
Starkey claims the defendant had a duty to maintain its guest rooms in a clean, fit and habitable manner and free from beg bug, pest or other infestations.
The defendant was negligent in maintaining the guest room and caused Starkey's injuries, according to the suit.
Starkey is seeking compensatory and punitive damages. She is being represented by Jon D. Hoover.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Jennifer Bailey.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 11-C-1450
- WV CALA kicks off Lawsuit Abuse Awareness Week
- Neely: Delaware newspaper suit simply 'about money'
- W.Va. Medical Institute sues over claims that a merger caused breach of contract
- Kanawha Co. man accuses former employer of age discrimination
- Worker sues former employer, alleging wrongful termination
- AG seeks subpoena against Jackson Co. door-to-door meat seller
- Former owner of Daily Mail claims Gazette pushed merger without consent
- Charleston woman blames Elder-Beerman for injuries from falling in store
- Woman blames Kmart for slip-and-fall injury over floor mat at store
- Charleston man says he was injured in apartment ceiling collapse