Tracie Snodgrass vs. the Putnam County Commission; Stephen A. Andes, in his capacity as commissioner; R. Joseph Haynes, in his capacity as commissioner; and Gary O. Tillis, in his capacity as commissioner
PA- Carl E. Hostler; J- Phillip Stowers
* In December 2003, Delmar Hammicks sold a lot and a used double-wide mobile home to Snodgrass. She claims she maintains the agreed purchase price was $55,000 and she delivered a certified check in the amount of $20,000 and mistakenly signed a promissory note in the amount of $55,000. Snodgrass claims there was no contract of sale and that when the promissory note was presented, she was sick and only checked the purchase price, did not calculate the proper payments and signed it without noticing that the document made no mention of the down payment of $20,000. She claims Commissioner Timothy J. LaFon denied her claim against Hammicks' estate and discriminated against her due to her medical disability. She is seeking for the court to remand her matter to a new fiduciary commissioner with the opportunity to have the merits of the claim resolved without cost to her.
Case number: 11-AA-3
Carol S. Williams vs. Teays Valley Haven Limited Partnership d/b/a Teays Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
PA- J. Michael Ranson, Cynthia M. Ranson, George B. Morrone III, G. Patrick Jacobs; J- Phillip Stowers
* Williams was employed by the defendant from Jan. 10, 2007, until May 27. She claims the defendant failed to pay her final wages within 72 hours of discharge. Williams is seeking judgment against the defendant for an amount equal to loss of all wages with interest and liquidated damages.
Case number: 11-C-272
William J. Peters, personal representative of the Estate of Annie Peters vs. 590 North Poplar Fork Road Operations, LLC d/b/a Teays Valley Center and Genesis Healthcare Corporation
PA- Andrew L. Paternostro, Jeff D. Stewart; J- Phillip Stowers
* During Annie Peters' residency with the defendant, she was subjected to injuries from a pattern of poor care, neglect and abuse. William J. Peters claims the defendants caused his mother to sustain injuries, including a fractured left hip, falls, a urinary tract infection and skin breakdown. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-273
Jarrett L. Smith and Sharon Smith vs. Modular Building Consultants of West Virginia and Billy Joe McLaughlin
PA- Michael O. Callaghan; J- O.C. Spaulding
* On July 14, Mr. Smith was traveling on W.Va. Route 36 when he struck a tractor trailer owned by Modular Building Consultants of West Virginia and being driven by McLaughlin. The couple claims the tractor trailer was blocking Mr. Smith's lane of traffic and caused him to collide with the tractor trailer. The Smiths are seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 11-C-277
- Big Lots delayed distribution of final paycheck, suit alleges
- Triad Engineering sues for payment for services rendered last year
- Babcock Lumber claims Fertig Cabinet owes sum for goods
- Wrongful death charge brought against Eldercare of Jackson County, administrator
- Fayette County man claims fellow employee assaulted him
- Belmont Co. woman accuses Russell Nesbitt Services of gender discrimination
- Marshall landowners accuse utility companies in lease dispute
- AG's office reaches $13 million settlement with CashCall
- Counsel: Now it's work for conservation group that bought mines
- WVU law professor's book on human rights published