CIVIL FILINGS: Kanawha County
Kyla Asbury Mar. 30, 2012, 2:30am
Madeline Betty Hamilton vs. Saint Francis Hospital, Inc.
PA- Philip J. Tissue; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On Aug. 18, 2010, Hamilton was a patient of the defendant's and while exiting a rear door of the hospital on her way to the pain clinic, she slipped and fell on sloping, uneven pavement and was injured. Hamilton is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 12-C-442
Franklin Lawrence vs. Con-way Freight, Inc.
PA- Shannon M. Bland; J- Charles E. King
* Lawrence was employed by the defendant. He claims his employment was terminated based on his age. Lawrence is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 12-C-498
James Hairston and Leah Hairston vs. General Motors, LLC; Moses Cadillac Buick GMC Truck, Inc.; and Capital One Auto Finance, Inc.
PA- Cameron S. McKinney; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Feb. 27, 2011, the Hairstons purchased a 2008 Cadillac Escalade from the defendants. They claim the vehicle is defective. The Hairstons are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 12-C-505
Anne V. Phipps vs. the City of Charleston, W.Va. and DJT, LLC d/b/a Bruno's
PA- Brian L. Ooten, Peter A. Hendricks; J- Carrie Webster
* On March 20, 2010, Phipps exited Bruno's and stepped onto the sidewalk on Kanawha Boulevard when she tripped and fell because of the uneven sidewalk. Phipps is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-510
Polly Groves, administratrix of the Estate of Jordan C. White vs. Jennifer L. McCorkle and John Does 1-5
PA- R. Edison Hill, Douglas A. Spencer; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On May 6, 2011, White was operating a 1996 Saturn vehicle and was traveling westbound on Interstate 64 when his vehicle became disabled and came to rest facing the median concrete barrier on the interstate in the center and right lanes near the Institute exit. Groves claims McCorkle was traveling immediately behind White and was traveling at such a rate of speed that she could not keep a proper lookout and negligently and violently crashed into White's vehicle, causing his death. Groves is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-511
Gay Williams and Barbara Williams vs. A.W. Chesterton Company; Air & Liquid Systems Corporation; Beazer East, Inc.; et al
PA- Thomas P. Maroney, Victoria L. Antion; J- visiting
* The Williamses claim the 58 defendants are responsible for Gay Williams' lung cancer. They are seeking a jury trial to resolve all issues involved.
Case number: 12-C-518
Vickie Miller vs. Charleston Marriott, LLC and Forest City Enterprises, Inc.
PA- Mark McMillian; J- Charles E. King
* On April 1, 2010, Miller was on the defendants' premises and was walking in an area on the ground floor when she fell as a result of coming into contact with an area of the floor that was slightly elevated, but not sufficiently visible as to be reasonably avoided. Miller is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 12-C-522