CHARLESTON – A Williamson woman is suing a Charleston surgeon for allegedly deviating from the acceptable standard of care during her surgery.
On Oct. 27, 2010, Dr. Lisa M. Skinner performed an abdominal hysterectomy on Tawanna Wright at Charleston Area Medical Center, according to a complaint filed Nov. 29 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Wright claims during the surgical procedure, Skinner failed to exercise the degree of care, skill and learning required or expected of a responsible, prudent healthcare provider.
Skinner failed to obtain an adequate informed consent to proceed with surgery; failed to complete a post-repair cystoscopy to assure an appropriate and safe closure of the bladder wall; and failed to assure that the bladder repair did not demonstrate any sutures into the bladder lumen after completion of the abdominal hysterectomy and closure of the unplanned cystotomy, according to the suit.
Wright claims Skinner’s negligence caused her to suffer permanent injuries to various parts of her body.
Skinner’s actions also caused Wright to sustain medical expenses; suffer a diminution in her ability to enjoy life; suffer permanent disfigurement; suffer physical and mental anguish; sustain loss of wages; suffer annoyance, aggravation and inconvenience; and suffer a diminution in her ability to earn money, according to the suit.
Wright is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. She is being represented by Greg K. Smith and Matthew E. Chandler.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Charles E. King.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-2368
- AG's office files complaint against alarm company
- Morrisey praises USSC ruling on church rights
- Justice remand United Bank fraud case
- Dirt biker blames CSX, others for injuries
- State Farm agent sues over assistant’s job move
- Woman accuses nursing home of neglect
- Miner alleges employer broke law following injury
- Former judge alleges libel, malicious prosecution
- Couple invokes lemon law in Chevy purchase
- Customer blames grocer after slip and fall