CHARLESTON – A Williamson woman is suing a Charleston surgeon for allegedly deviating from the acceptable standard of care during her surgery.
On Oct. 27, 2010, Dr. Lisa M. Skinner performed an abdominal hysterectomy on Tawanna Wright at Charleston Area Medical Center, according to a complaint filed Nov. 29 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Wright claims during the surgical procedure, Skinner failed to exercise the degree of care, skill and learning required or expected of a responsible, prudent healthcare provider.
Skinner failed to obtain an adequate informed consent to proceed with surgery; failed to complete a post-repair cystoscopy to assure an appropriate and safe closure of the bladder wall; and failed to assure that the bladder repair did not demonstrate any sutures into the bladder lumen after completion of the abdominal hysterectomy and closure of the unplanned cystotomy, according to the suit.
Wright claims Skinner’s negligence caused her to suffer permanent injuries to various parts of her body.
Skinner’s actions also caused Wright to sustain medical expenses; suffer a diminution in her ability to enjoy life; suffer permanent disfigurement; suffer physical and mental anguish; sustain loss of wages; suffer annoyance, aggravation and inconvenience; and suffer a diminution in her ability to earn money, according to the suit.
Wright is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. She is being represented by Greg K. Smith and Matthew E. Chandler.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Charles E. King.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-2368
- Humphreys' firm hit with another legal malpractice claim
- Jackson County residents sue state in roadway dispute
- Pennsylvania man sues developer, alleging breach of agreement
- Woman sues Nitro to stop city from assessing property fees
- Kanawha Co. woman sues after fall on sidewak at St. Francis
- Fayette Co. woman blames Kmart in slip-and-fall suit
- UPDATE: WV CALA kicks off Lawsuit Abuse Awareness Week
- AG's office files diesel engine lawsuit against VW
- Robin Davis is a conflict of interest
- New prevailing wage rates, same old problems