CHARLESTON – A man is suing the City of South Charleston after he claims he was injured in its Community Center due to improperly installed metal screws in its sauna.

On March 8, Ryan Keelin was utilizing the facilities as an invitee at the Community Center in Kanawha County and was in the sauna when he suffered first and second degree burns on his back from improperly installed and/or maintained metal screws that were protruding from a bench in the sauna, according to a complaint filed Dec. 18 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

Keelin claims the defendant had a duty to maintain the sauna in a reasonably safe condition and a duty to exercise reasonable care in the maintenance and operation of the recreation facility, including warning others of hazards on the premises.

South Charleston breached its duties by failing to maintain its community center in a reasonably safe manner and exercise reasonable care under the circumstances, all of which caused Keelin to sustain serious injuries when he was severely burned as a result of the improperly installed and/or maintained sauna, according to the suit.

Keelin claims the City of South Charleston failed to warn him of the non-obvious dangerous conditions on the premises.

As a result of the defendant’s wrongful and negligent conduct, Keelin suffered severe and distinct first- and second-degree burns and scarring; increased risk of cancer; loss of capacity to enjoy life; and great annoyance and inconvenience, according to the suit.

Keelin is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by Raj A. Shah and Stephen E. Hastings.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Tod J. Kaufman.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-2482

More News