Man sues theater for electrical shock injuries
Kyla Asbury Jan. 24, 2013, 12:00am
MORGANTOWN – A man is suing Hollywood Theaters, Inc., after he claims he suffered an electrical shock at its concession counter.
On Jan. 14, 2011, Matthew D. Barcus went to the defendant’s theater to watch a movie, according to a complaint filed Jan. 14 in Monongalia Circuit Court.
Barcus claims he purchased a ticket into the theater and was purchasing a beverage at the concession counter when he touched a drinking-straw dispenser and suffered a powerful electric jolt or shock that threw him violently to and against the floor.
The defendant was negligent in failing to maintain the concession counter area in a reasonably safe condition for its patrons, according to the suit.
Barcus claims the defendant failed to clear or mop water, snow and ice from the floor in and around the concession area and failed to warn him of the high risk of receiving an electrical shock when the defendant knew or should have known the area had become unsafe for patrons.
Hollywood Theaters failed to inspect, repair and keep its electrical appliances and wires in and around the concession area in a reasonably safe condition, according to the suit.
Barcus is seeking compensatory damages in the amount of $400,000 with pre-judgment interest. He is being represented by William R. Metzner.
Monongalia Circuit Court case number: 13-C-32