PINEVILLE - A couple are suing over claims that an unsafe laptop computer caused their home to catch fire.

Daniel K. McKinney and Marcia McKinney filed a lawsuit Feb. 14 in the Circuit Court of Wyoming County against Hewlett-Packard Co., Sony Co., John Doe Co., Pomeroy IT Solutions Co. and the Wyoming County Board of Education, citing strict liability and negligence.

The plaintiffs allege on Feb. 15, 2011, they sustained serious injuries and damages when their home caught fire in Wyoming County.

According to the complaint, Daniel McKinney's employer, Wyoming County Board of Education, provided him with an HP laptop computer.

The complaint states the laptop malfunctioned, catching fire to the home, causing damages and injuries.

Prior to the fire, recalls had been issued because the laptop was a proven fire hazard, the complaint states. The plaintiffs also contend that the defendants received notice of the recalls, but failed to protect the plaintiffs from the danger.

The plaintiffs are seeking an undisclosed amount in damages and are representing themselves.

Circuit Court of Wyoming County Case No. 13-C-18.

More News