MOUNDSVILLE - A man is suing 74 companies he claims exposed him to asbestos and caused him to be diagnosed with lung cancer.
William A. Williams was diagnosed with lung cancer on Dec. 4, 2012, according to a complaint filed in Marshall Circuit Court.
Williams claims over the course of his lifetime, he worked at various construction sites and was exposed to asbestos dust.
During the time that Williams was exposed to products of various defendants, the products reached his job sites without any substantial change in the condition of the products from the time they were sold, used or distributed by the defendants, according to the suit.
Williams claims the defendants failed to warn him of the dangers of the products when they knew or should have known that exposure to the asbestos-containing products would cause disease and injury.
The defendants also failed to take reasonable precautions to warn Williams of the dangers to which he was exposed when the defendants knew or should have known of the dangers, according to the suit.
Williams claims the defendants failed to exercise reasonable care to warn the plaintiff of the dangers to which she was exposed by use of the asbestos-containing products and other ingredients in the defendants' products.
The defendants' actions were malicious, willful and wanton misconduct and were done with a complete disregard for the safety and rights of others, according to the suit.
Williams is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
He is being represented by Leslie Ann James of Hartley & O'Brien PLLC.
The 74 defendants named in the suit include Air & Liquid Systems Corporation, American Optical Corporation, Atlas Industries Inc., Aurora Pump Company, Bayer Cropscience Inc., Beazer East Inc., Brand Insulations Inc., CBS Corporation, Catalytic Construction Company, and Certainteed Corporation.
Marshall Circuit Court case number: 14-C-77