School cook injured in temporary kitchen

By April Bamburg | Aug 26, 2014

WAYNE -- A Huntington woman was working in a modular unit that served temporarily as an elementary school kitchen says she was injured when carrying 50 pounds of potatoes after tripping over furnishings in the unit.


WAYNE -- A Huntington woman was working in a modular unit that served temporarily as an elementary school kitchen says she was injured when carrying 50 pounds of potatoes after tripping over furnishings in the unit.

Sharon I. Mills filed suit Aug. 7 in Wayne Circuit Court against Williams Scotsman Inc. and three unknown men.

According to the lawsuit, on Aug. 12, 2012, Mills was working in a modular unit that served as a temporary kitchen at Kenova Elementary when she fell to the floor while carrying 50 pounds of potatoes. The plaintiff says her fall occurred when she caught her foot in the stand of a floor fan placed in the modular unit.

Williams Scotsman was negligent, the lawsuit alleges, in providing a modular unit not designed or intended for use as a commercial kitchen. John Doe No. 1 was negligent in failing to design a modular unit suitable for use as a school or commercial kitchen. John Doe No. 2 was negligent in failing to install the modular unit in conformity with state, federal and industry standards. John Doe No. 3 was negligent in over-furnishing the modular unit and not giving employees adequate space to work.

The lawsuit says it was the negligence of the four defendants that led to Mills' injury.

Mills is seeking an award for past and future medical expenses, lost income and economic damages, pre- and post-judgment interest and costs associated with this lawsuit.

She is represented by attorney Scott W. Andrews of Hoover Andrews PLLC in Barboursville. The case has assigned to Circuit Judge Darrell Pratt.

Wayne Circuit Court case 14-C-164

More News

The Record Network