BECKLEY – A Raleigh County woman is suing over claims she was exposed to carbon monoxide by a negligently manufactured and installed propane generator.

Gladys Ballard filed a lawsuit Oct. 28 in Raleigh Circuit Court against Generac Power Systems Inc. and Childers Enterprises Inc., citing negligence.

According to the complaint, on Oct. 29, 2012, Ballard woke to the sound of a carbon monoxide detector going off in her home and with a bad headache and trouble breathing.

The complaint states Ballard had purchased a Generac propane generator from Childers Enterprises on Jan. 19, 2006, and Childers had negligently installed it in such a fashion that the exhaust from the generator was facing Ballard's residence and flowing into a lower window.

The complaint also states the generator was negligently defective and generated dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide.

Ballard seeks damages, including medical expenses and expenses related to replacing the generator and attorney fees.

She is represented by attorney John R. Mitchell of Charleston. The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Robert A. Burnside Jr.

Raleigh Circuit Court case number: 14-C-1009

More News