John McCune and Andrea McCune v. Lisa Brown and Kanawha County Board of Education
PA-Michael T. Clifford; J-Kaufman
* The McCunes say Lisa Brown punched a pregnant Andrea McCune in the stomach during an argument at a December basketball game at Dunbar Middle School. Brown is a secretary at East Bank.
Case number: 06-C-601
IVS Hydro, Inc. v. AU Technologies, Inc., et al.
PA-Martin R. Smith, Jr.; J-Berger
* IVS Hydro charges AU Technologies, Ground and Pipe Technologies, Compliance Envirosystems and Mark Wardlaw, doing business as Sweco with failing to pay on a contract in the amount of $308,200. The contract had IVS Hydro working as a subcontractor performing certain cleanup work in Jefferson, Parish, Louisiana and other contiguous areas.
Case number: 06-C-604
Randall Matt Legg v. Charleston Area Medical Center, et al.
PA-John R. Mitchell; J-Zakaib
* Legg is suing Ethicon, Inc., three Johnson and Johnson businesses, Skyland Hospital Supply, Amerisource Medical Supply and Amerisource Corporation over sutures used in his foot surgery during 1998 that he claims were contaminated and led to serious infection.
Case number: 06-C-614
R. Steven Slater v. Kyle Sattes and Beth Sattes
PA-William C. Forbes; J-Bloom
* Slater says the Sattes left their dog running loose Feb. 20 on Ashby Ave. in Charleston, and the dog attacked him, causing several injuries and emotional and/or psychological distress. He is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 06-C-619
Clifton D. Sowards and Cathy L. Sowards v. Walter J. Zajac, M.D., and Kanawha Valley Gastroenterology Associates
PA-Frank M. Armada; J-Kaufman
* The Sowards say Zajac improperly diagnosed Clifton Sowards with Crohn's disease instead of irritable bowel syndrome and prescribed inappropriate medication, including Vioxx. Sowards blames the doctor for his stroke and resulting permanent brain injury and medical bills totaling nearly $50,000.
Case number: 06-C-620
Scott M. Hurst v. Asplundh Tree Expect Co.
PA-Michael L. Glasser; J-Berger
* Hurst says Asplundh trespassed on his property on April 30, 1999, to remove a tree without his permission. While on the property, he claims, they damaged a gate and his land. He is requesting triple the value of the tree removed plus compensation.
Case number: 06-C-628
Debbie Atkins, Adiministratrix of the Estate of Franklin D. Burford, Sr. v. Sharon Burford Peay
PA-Pro Se; J-Stucky
* Atkins says Peay has horded the estate of her father and has refused to abide by a settlement designed to resolve the matter. She is seeking almost $50,000 to be split between Franklin Burford's heirs.
Case number: 06-C-648
McMillion Research LLC v. Ryan McGinn Samples Research, Inc., d/b/a RMS Strategies
PA-Mark Sadd; J-Stucky
* McMillion Research says McGinn still owes $54,767.64 for services rendered Dec. 17-Feb.9.
Case number: 06-C-650
Oma Jean Jones v. the Estate of Bobby Neal Jones
PA-Michael M. Morrison; J-King
* Oma Jones was a guest in a car driven by her son Bobby Jones April 7, 2004, when he suffered a heart attack and crashed. She is suing his estate for medical expenses.
Case number: 06-C-561
Fifth Third Bank v. Marvin Carl Crowder, Jr., and Source Sales, LTD.
PA-Jonathan R. Mani; J-Zakaib
* Crowder made requests for provisional moneys in the amount of his recent deposits in October, then kept the provisional amount when the bank forgot to subtract it after his original deposit cleared, effectively doubling his deposits. He profited more than $15,000 that the bank is seeking to regain.
Case number: 06-C-652