CHARLES TOWN - Two Jefferson County businesses have filed a suit against a power company, claiming the company is to blame for a fire than destroyed a restaurant and heavily damaged the building in which it was housed.

GAK Inc. and Connie McKenzie's Inc., doing business as Boss', filed the suit Jan. 12 against Allegheny Energy Service Corporation in Jefferson Circuit Court.

On Jan. 14, 2005, the building owned by GAK Inc., in which Boss' was located, caught on fire, "and was a total loss," the suit says. The suit claims the electrical transformer installed by Allegheny Energy Service Corporation was the cause of the fire.

In the suit, GAK Inc. claims a total loss of the building, which is estimated to be worth $750,000. Boss' also suffered damages estimated to be worth $125,000.

In addition to the loss of the building and business, the lawsuit also claims a representative from the power company came to the property within 24 hours and removed the transformer from the building, deliberately impending a proper investigation.

GAK Inc. and Boss' seek compensatory and punitive damages.

Jefferson Circuit Court case number 07-C-11M

More News