United Industrial Services of Virginia Inc. v. Mine-Weld and Repair, Inc.
PA – William S. Winfrey II; J – Bloom
* United Industrial Services of Virginia filed a suit against Mine-Weld and Repair, Inc., claiming the company has not paid for certain parts and services. They seek $33,472.23, plus court fees.
Case number 07-C-306
Nick Savas v. West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways
PA – Larry O. Ford; J – Berger
* Savas, an inmate of the Ohio County Correctional Center, was injured while on work detail. An oxygen tank smashed his left middle finger. Savas filed a suit for compensation from the DOT.
Case number 07-C-309
RC General Contractors Inc. v. Dr. John Patrick Burgess and Carol Burgess
PA – Truman C. Griffith; J – Kaufman
* RC General Contractors filed a suit against the Burgesses, claiming they did not pay for material and labor. The suit says the Burgesses failed to pay $73,294.02. RC seeks the money, plus interest.
Case number 07-C-315
Whitney Shamblin, administrator of the estate of Jeremy Lee Shamblin v. The Sheriff of Kanawha County, as the personal representative of the estates of Paul Bernard George and Gary Lee Holstein, 7-Eleven Corporation, The Southland Corporation, Prima Marketing LLC
PA – Christopher J. Heavens; J – Bloom
* Shamblin filed the suit after her husband was killed, with his children, in a car wreck. A vehicle driven by George was going the wrong way on Interstate 79. George has a blood alcohol of .23 percent. Whitney Shamblin seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number 07-C-318
Karnak, Inc. v. Little John's LLC
PA – James W. Lane, Jr.; J – Stucky
* Little John's rented property from Karnak located in Winfield. A commercial lease was signed, stating rental payments were to be $6,000 got 60 months. The suit says Little John's failed to pay the final eight and one half monthly payments, amounting to $51,000. Karnak seeks the late fees, plus interest, totaling $60,000.
Case number 07-C-326
Theodore C. Pettrey and Catherine J. Pettrey v. Elmo Greer and Sons of Kentucky LLC, West Virginia Department of Transportation
PA – J. Kristofer Cormany; J – Bloom
* The Pettreys filed a suit after Theodore Pettrey was injured while on the job. Pettrey, who was employed by Elmo Greer, severely injured his back after he had to jump out of a Caterpillar 631 C Scraper machine, because the machine had no brakes. The Pettreys seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number 07-C-331
Rossevelt Francois v. Joey's Ice Cream Trucks and Joey Simonton
PA – C. Benjamin Salango; J – Bloom
* Francois filed the suit, claiming he made a down payment on a soft serve ice cream truck, but never received the truck. Francois said he paid $32,000, which was deposited into Simonton's account, but when he contacted Simonton about the truck, it could not be found. Francois seeks punitive damages.
Case number 07-C-332
Jimmie E. Urban v. Kanawha County Parks and Recreation Commission, Sandy Brae Golf Course, Jeremy Strimel through his parent and legal guardian Troy Strimel
PA – L. Lee Javins, II; J – King
* Urban filed a suit against Strimel, after the two were involved in an accident on Sandy Brae Golf Course. After the accident Urban's left eyeball burst, and he now wears an eye prosthesis. Urban seeks compensatory damages against all the defendants.
Case number 07-C-337
Debra L. Sticklen, administratrix of the estate of James Thomas v. Genesis Health Ventures of West Virginia,L.P.
PA – Shawna N. Pinkerton; J – Berger
* Sticklen filed a malpractice suit against Genesis Health Care on behalf of her late father. The suit says Thomas died from infections he incurred while staying at the facility. Sticklen seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number 07-C-343
Matthew Royal v. Charleston Area Medical Center, Jashvantlal Thakkar MD and John Doe
PA – Belinda S. Morton; J – Berger
* Royal filed a malpractice suit, seeking $10 million after he was injured during a cardiac catherization. Royal seeks compensation for his medical care.
Case number 07-C-345
Violet Susan Wilson and Lorren M. Wilson v. PETsMART Inc.
PA – Stephen L. Gaylock; J – Kaufman
The Wilsons filed a suit against PETsMART, after Violet Wilson was attacked and bitten by a dog in the obedience program at the store. They seek compensation for her injuries.
Case number 07-C-348