Charles Riley vs. Ecolab Inc.
PA - David Hammer; J - Gray Silver
* Riley claims that in October 2005, he received a work assignment at Ecolab that required him to stand in place for extended periods of time, even though he has degenerative disc disease. He went to a physician, who instructed him not to stand for long periods of time, but Riley claims Ecolab discriminated against him and refused to offer him other work that he was able to perform. He is seeking an undetermined amount of relief.
Case number: 07-C-243
Purple Turtle LLC vs. Pamela Games-Neely, prosecuting attorney; Steven C. Teufel, president of the Berkeley County Commission; Norwood Bentley III, county attorney; Preston Gooden, assessor; and John Small, county clerk
PA - Kenneth Barton; J - David Sanders
* Purple Turtle LLC and 18 landowners who are also appellants in the case claim 16 parcels of land have been assessed at more than $192,000 per acre for a total of $3,072,000. They claim this assessed value for 2007 is an increase of more than 300 percent. They are seeking that the county leaders assess the properties at $40,000 per acre, which the appellants say is more in line with nearby land values.
Case number: 07-C-247
Homecroft Development Corp. vs. Larry V. Faircloth, individually, and Larry V. Faircloth Realty Inc.
PA - Braun Hamstead; J - Christopher Wilkes
* Homecroft Development claims Faircloth was negligent and breached his obligation of good faith and fair dealing as a real estate agent and broker when he demanded that the plaintiff go to closing without a final contract and an agreed-upon description of the property. The plaintiff also claims Faircloth failed to properly handle the plaintiffás $250,000 escrow. Homecroft Development is seeking at least $300,000 in consequential damages and $1.5 million in punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-265
Viviene A. Monette vs. Tammy Jeffries Utterback
PA - Terrance Britt; J - David Sanders
* Monette claims an Oct. 8, 2006, vehicle accident was the result of the defendant's carelessness and negligence. Monette claims she suffered severe and permanent injuries, and she is seeking at least $74,999.99 and other relief.
Case number: 07-C-266
Pauline May Mercer vs. CitiFinancial Inc. and Southern States Cooperative Inc.
PA - Aaron Amore; J - Christopher Wilkes
* Mercer claims the defendants violated West Virginia Code by repeatedly mailing bills and calling her in 2006 and 2007, even though they knew she was represented by an attorney who requested that all correspondence go through him. Mercer is seeking statutory damages of $100 to $1,000 for each of the 10 debt collection attempts, as well as actual damages of $10,000 for each incident, and other relief.
Case number: 07-C-268