William L. Seckman IV v. Zicam LLC, Matrixx Initiatives
PA – James M. Cagle; J – Zakaib
* William Seckman filed a case against Zicam and Matrixx Initiatives, the manufacturer and distributor of a cold medicine. Seckman claims the zinc in the cold medicine made him permanently lose his sense of smell and had an adverse affect on his sense of taste. He seeks general and special damages.
Case number: 07-C-826
Debra K. Bainbridge v. Jefferson Motel
PA – Cynthia E. Evans; J – Bloom
* Debra Bainbridge filed a suit against Jefferson Motel, claiming she was injured when she fell on steps at the back of the building. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-841
Rebecca S. Crary v. Gregory C. Stonestreet, M.D., Cross Lanes Family Practice, Mark D. Steinvurzel, M.D., Center for Facial Rejuvenation and Eye Plastic Surgery
PA – David A. Ford; J – Zakaib
* Rebecca Crary filed a medical malpractice suit against physicians Gregory Stonestreet and Mark Steinvurzel. Crary lost her right eye, a portion of her upper palate, multiple teeth and a portion of her nose, which she says is due to Stonestreet's negligence. She also claims Steinvurzel breached a standard of care when he suggested cosmetic plastic surgery and ignored her symptoms. She seeks compensation.
Case number: 07-C-844
J.G. and D.G., guardians and next friend to A.N.G. their daughter v. Chesapeake Apostolic Church, Timothy Charles Edmonds, assistant youth pastor, The Upper Kanawha Valley Christian School, and P.D. Priddy, in his capacity as "pastor" of the CAC.
PA – Henry E. Wood III; J – Bloom
* The parents of a Kanawha girl filed a case against the youth pastor of Chesapeake Apostolic Church. They claim the man repeatedly sexually abused their teenage daughter. They seek compensatory damages for counseling and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-814
Patricia Paith, executrix of the estate of Melvin Cunningham, Sr., deceased, and Angela M. Cunningham v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al
PA – David B. Richardson; J – Visiting
* Patricia Paith and Angela Cunningham filed an asbestos lawsuit against 45 companies, on behalf of the estate of Melvin Cunningham. The case states Melvin Cunningham died from mesothelioma he contracted while working for American Electric Power, Ohio Power Company and West Penn Power Company. They seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-852
Patricia Ann Rollins, as executrix of the estate of Willard Harold Burns, and Mary Ellen Burns v. Durametallic Corporation, et al
PA – James A. McKowen; J – Visiting
Patricia Rollins, the executrix for the estate of Willard Harold Burns, and Mary Ellen Burns, filed an asbestos suit against 16 companies, claiming Willard Burns died due to the negligence of the companies. Burns, an operator, boilermaker and welder for Union Carbide, died of asbestosis and mesothelioma. Rollins claims he was exposed to asbestos dust while working for Union Carbide, which resulted in his death. They seek full compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-813
Erik Curran v. Amazon.com Inc., Getty Images, St. Martin's Press LLC, Sideshow Inc. dba Sideshow Collectibles, Hot Toy LTD, Cafepress.com
PA – Charles M. Love, IV; J – Bloom
* Erik Curran filed a suit against the defendants, claiming they used his photo and likeness as a soldier for several products, including T-shirts, books and an action figure. He claims he never gave permission for his likeness to be used and seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-856
Paul Richard Howard and Rhrea Howard v. A.K. Steel Corporation fka Armco Steel Corporation, et al
PA – Samuel D. Elswick; J – Visiting
* Paul Howard filed an asbestos lawsuit against 56 companies, claiming he has lung cancer because of the negligence of the companies. Howard was a laborer with A.K. Steel in Ashland, Ky. He claims he was exposed to asbestos dust, which caused his cancer.
He and his wife, Rhrea, seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-850
Jerry Roger Mayo Sr., and Gladys Mayo v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
PA – Samuel D. Elswick; J – Visiting
* Jerry and Gladys Mayo of Cabell County filed an asbestos lawsuit against 55 companies. Jerry Mayo, an ironworker from 1970 to 1993, claims he was exposed to asbestos dust while on the job, which caused his lung cancer. The Mayos seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-851