Boone man says he was burned in tanning bed

By Cara Bailey | May 25, 2007

CHARLESTON - A Boone County man has filed a suit against a local tanning salon, claiming he was seriously burned while laying in one of the beds.

Dennis Wheatley filed a suit May 2 in Kanawha Circuit Court against Planet Tan of Charleston. Wheatley claims he went to the salon on May 18, 2005, and asked about the procedure, timing of the beds, and how long he should lay.

An employee "negligently" told him be in the tanning bed for up to 20 minutes, the suit says.

Wheatley claims that after 10 to 12 minutes in the bed, he felt his skin burning. After 15 minutes he climbed out of the bed, the suit says.

"Over the next few days (Wheatley) experienced major burning, nausea, vomiting, and severe pain associated with the burns," the suit says.

Wheatley claims the pain was so bad he went to the emergency room.

He claims the salon was negligent in their practice of informing the clients of the correct process of tanning and in doing so, breeched its duty to a customer.

Wheatley seeks damages for lost wages, pain and suffering, injuries, medical bills and emotional distress.

Attorney Roger Forman is counsel for Wheatley, and the case has been assigned to Judge Louis Bloom.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number 07-C-865

More News

The Record Network