Frances Bonnett v. Summit Hotel Properties LLC, Choice Hotels
PA – Henry E. Wood, III; J – King
* Bonnett filed a lawsuit against the Kanawha City Comfort Suites and Inn, claiming she was injured after she tripped on a rolled-up rug in the lobby. Bonnett was a manager with the hotel. She claims management knew guests and employees of the hotel tripped over the rug, but nothing was done about. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages for her injuries.
Case number: 07-C-1075
Lola Brown v. Texas Steak LTD dba Texas Steakhouse
PA – Todd R. Meadows; J – Walker
* Brown, of Logan County, filed a lawsuit against the restaurant, claiming she slipped and fell on a clear fluid on the floor. She claims she suffered injuries to her head, neck, back, body, knee, wrist and limbs. She seeks judgment not to exceed $74,999.99.
Case number: 07-C-1076
Kathy Jones and Wayne Jones v. M & M Inflatables, Inc., Forest City Commercial Management, Inc., Charleston Town Center Company
PA – Kristina Thomas Whiteaker; J – Kaufman
* Kathy and Wayne Jones filed a suit against M & M Inflatables Inc., claiming Kathy Jones was injured on one of the inflatable slides that was set up on the first level of the Charleston Town Center. Together, Kathy and Wayne Jones seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1086
Earl R. Williams v. Southern Building Systems Inc., Walker Machinery Co.
PA – Daniel W. Greear; J – Bloom
* Williams filed a suit against his employer, Southern Building Systems, and Walker Machinery. Williams was seriously injured when he fell through a skylight, while working on a building at Walker. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1087
Jane Doe 1, Jane Doe 2 v. Richard Allan "Rico" Filbin, individually and operating under the business name of Body and Soul Massage Therapy
PA – John H. Tinney, Jr.; J – Bloom
* A class action lawsuit was filed against Filbin, on behalf of the people he allegedly videotaped undressing at his massage parlor. The suit seeks compensatory and punitive relief for invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence.
Case number: 07-C-1096
Peggy F. Quinn and Ronald R. Quinn, David H. Anderson, Jeffrey Allen Anderson, Richard Ray Anderson, Tammy Lynn Anderson, Billy Jo Davis and Bernica Davis, and Dwayne Anderson and Brenda Anderson v. Bennett K. Hatfield, Chief Executive of International Coal Group Inc., International Coal Group, Inc; Wolf Run Mining Company
PA – Paul M. Stroebel; J – Stucky
* The family of Thomas Anderson, a miner killed in the 2005 Sago Mine accident, filed a civil lawsuit against Bennett Hatfield, the CEO of International Coal Group, Inc., the company that owns the Sago Mine. The suit, filed by Anderson's father, one sister and four brothers, seeks compensatory and punitive damages for emotional distress.
Case number: 07-C-1110
Almeta Neville v. Foodmasters, Limited Liability Company, dba Kanawha City Foodland, Mountaineer Pride Car Wash
PA – R. Ford Francis; J – Berger
* Almeta Neville filed a suit against the Kanawha City Foodland and the Mountaineer Pride Car Wash, claiming she was injured when she fell on black ice owned by the businesses. Neville seeks compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-1112
Sheila Marks and John Marks v. The Board of Governors of Marshall University
PA – Larry O. Ford; J – Kaufman
* Sheila and John Marks filed a suit against the Board of Governors of Marshall University, after Sheila Marks tripped on a curb outside of the Memorial Student Center and was injured. Sheila and John Marks seek compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-1116