CLARKSBURG -- Fourteen Steptoe & Johnson attorneys are ranked as "Leaders in Their Field" in the annual Chambers USA guide America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
The firm was also named a Chambers USA Top-Ranked Firm and recognized for leadership in five practice areas.
Referring to the firm, Chambers USA said it is "admired for doing a consistently 'terrific job', for clients, who claim that the firm is 'our yardstick of quality.' Sources go on to remark on the group's skill in obtaining 'favorable judgments in a difficult litigation environment,' while all are 'very impressed with the lawyers.'"
"The rankings are a testament to our commitment to providing the highest level of legal services to our clients," CEO Robert M. Steptoe Jr. said in a news release. "The Chambers rankings illustrate that Steptoe & Johnson is highly regarded in numerous practice areas important to business."
The following Steptoe & Johnson attorneys are recognized as Top-Ranked:
* Rodney L. Bean, Labor & Employment – Morgantown
* Susan S. Brewer, Litigation: Health Care – Morgantown
* Bryan R. Cokeley, Labor & Employment – Charleston
* Patrick D. Deem, Corporate/Commercial – Clarksburg
* David E. Dick, Labor & Employment – Morgantown
* Louis E. Enderle, Jr., Real Estate – Clarksburg
* William E. Galeota, Litigation – Morgantown
* Robert E. Gifford, Litigation: Mass Tort – Clarksburg
* C. David Morrison, Labor & Employment – Clarksburg
* Jeffrey K. Phillips, Litigation – Charleston
* James A. Russell, Environment – Morgantown
* Christopher L. Slaughter, Labor & Employment – Huntington
* Robert M. Steptoe, Jr., Labor & Employment – Clarksburg
* John C. Stump, Corporate/Commercial – Charleston
Bean and Slaughter received additional recognition as "up and coming attorneys." In interviews with the publisher, clients said Bean is "easy to work with, thorough and careful" and Slaughter demonstrates a "superb understanding of our business and goals."
The following practice areas were highlighted (pracitce area and rank listed):
* Labor & Employment – West Virginia (1)
* Real Estate – West Virginia (1)
* Corporate/Commercial – West Virginia (2)
* Environment – West Virginia (2)
* Litigation: General Commercial – West Virginia (2)
Each year, the publisher carries out thousands of in-depth interviews with clients to assess the reputations and expertise of business lawyers across the U.S. Referring to the firm, clients said Steptoe & Johnson comes out on top for its "ability, responsiveness and great customer service."
Chambers' rankings are based upon the recommendations of clients and lawyers throughout the United States. Law firms and individual lawyers are ranked on a scale of 1-6, with an additional ranking awarded to those considered "up and coming," and for lawyers with exceptional recommendations in their field. Attorneys are ranked on qualities such as technical ability, professional conduct, commitment, client service and commercial awareness.
Chambers and Partners, based in London, produces the annual Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers. Top firms and top attorneys are ranked and their merits described –- usually in the words of clients the publisher has interviewed. For more information, visit www.chambersandpartners.com
Steptoe & Johnson has provided customized legal services to business, industry, and public entities in West Virginia and the region for nearly a century. With more than 170 lawyers and a support staff of more than 200, Steptoe & Johnson maintains six offices throughout West Virginia and one office in Ohio. For more information, visit www.steptoe-johnson.com.