Verna L. Black v. Charleston-Kanawha Housing Authority, ServPro of North Kanawha Valley, Inc., Classic Construction Company, Inc., John Doe ServiceMaster
PA – G. Patrick Jacobs; J – Walker
* Black filed a suit against the owners of her apartment building after she fell and was injured in a hallway. Black claims she tripped over plastic sheeting that was left in the hallway from construction crews who were trying to repair fire damage. Black seeks punitive and compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-1276
Holly A. Thacker v. Chris Chaber, CHAB Inc.
PA – Shawn A. Taylor; J – Walker
* Holly Thacker filed a suit against Chris Chaber, the owner of The Emply Glass, claiming he knocked her down during an incident at the bar. Thacker claims her left hand has been permanently injured and disfigured. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1288
Lisa and Mike Thomas v. Executive Air Terminal, Inc., Brian Scott Miller
PA – Mark L. French, Matthew S. Criswell; J – Berger
* Lisa and Mike Thomas filed a suit against Brian Miller and Executive Air Terminal, after Miller allegedly sexually assaulted Lisa Thomas on a plane her husband was piloting. The suit says Miller touched Thomas in an unwanted way, including kissing her on the mouth, and propositioned her for sexual favors on a flight from Myrtle Beach, S.C. to Charleston. Lisa and Mike Thomas seeks compensatory and punitive damages, as well as an injunction against Executive Air Terminal, ordering an on-going training program on sexual harassment in the workplace.
Case number: 07-C-1289
Floyd D. Beasley, individually, and as Executor of the Estate of Jean Loretta Beasley v. Harrell Nursing Home, Nursing Care Management of America, Inc., Charleston Hospital, doing business as St. Frances Healthscope; Lester Labus, M.D.
PA – David L. White, Michael T. Clifford; J – Walker
* Floyd Beasley filed a medical malpractice suit on behalf of his mother, who died from complications while at St. Frances Hospital. Beasley claims his mother, Jean Loretta Beasley, was injured after a procedure and ultimately died. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1337
Shannon E. Campbell, Lance Campbell v. Alejandro Estrada, et al
PA – Tony O'Dell, Jason Konvicka; J- Stucky
* Shannon and Lance Campbell filed a suit against 16 defendants, including Charles Town Races and Slots, after Shannon Campbell was injured during a horse race July 9, 2005. Campbell claims a horse ridden by Alejandro Estrada clipped heels with the horse she was riding, causing the horse to fall. Shannon and Lance Campbell seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1348
Teresa McComas, individually and next friend of Stephanie McComas, Lacey McComas, Hannah McComas and Jesse McComas, and Larry Dean McComas, her husband v. Marsha Funderburk Granese, M.D., Charleston Area Medical Center
PA – Andrew Paternostro, et al; J – Berger
* Teresa McComas filed a medical malpractice suit against the physician who performed her hysterectomy, Marsha Funderburk Granese and Charleston Area Medical Center. McComas claims she developed complications after her surgery, but Granese left the state, and McComas had trouble finding another physician who would perform the corrective surgery. McComas seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1351
Daniel P. Gibson as administrator of the estate of Dorothy Gibson v. Michael Anthony Schiano, M..D., Penny S. Divita, D.O.
PA – Richard D. Lindsay; J – Kaufman
* Daniel Gibson filed a medical malpractice suit on behalf on the estate of Dorothy Gibson, after she died from complications after a hysterectomy. Daniel Gibson claims Dorothy Gibson died after needles and sutures from her surgery caused fecal matter to leak into her wound. Gibson seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1367