Nalone Stallings v. Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority dba South Central Regional Jail Charleston, W.Va.
PA – Geoffrey I. Ekenasi; J – Bloom
* Nalone Stallings, an inmate at South Central Regional Jail has filed a suit against the jail for the third time, seeking compensation for his injuries. Stallings claims he slipped on a puddle of water in the jail and fell down at least 20 steps. He claims the case has been dismissed for various reasons twice before. He continues to seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2406
Carol Lynn Patterson, on behalf of herself and all those similarly situated v. Tri-State Chrysler Jeep, LLC, Smart Automotive Group
PA – David L. Grubb; J – Stucky
* Carol Patterson filed a class-action lawsuit against Tri-State Chrysler Jeep, claiming she was misled after she received a card in the mail stating she had won a contest for $4,000 off a vehicle. Patterson went to the dealership and purchased a vehicle, but was not given the discount she was told she would receive. Patterson seeks compensation for emotional and mental distress, loss of use, aggravation, anxiety, annoyance and inconvenience. The class also seeks punitive damages for willful, wanton and reckless disregard for their legal rights.
Case number: 07-C-2420
Mayford Lee Sigman and Betty Sigman v. A & I Company, a West Virginia Corporation, et al
PA – James C. Stebbins; J – Visiting
* Mayford Sigman and his wife, Betty, filed a lawsuit against 65 companies, claiming their negligence caused him to develop asbestosis. Sigman, who worked for Monsanto Company, claims he was exposed to asbestos at work and developed an illness because of that exposure. He and his wife seeks compensatory and punitive damages for their injuries.
Case number: 07-C-2422
Vera Kane Stamper, Individually and as Executrix of the estate of Robert Lynn Connelley Sr., deceased v. 20th Century Glove Corp. of Texas, et al
PA – Cindy J. Kiblinger; J – Visiting
* Vera Stamper filed an asbestos lawsuit on behalf of the estate of Robert Lynn Connelley, Sr. The suit names 47 defendants. Stamper claims Connelley worked around asbestos and other harmful minerals and developed mesothelioma, which ultimately caused his death. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages for his estate.
Case number: 07-C-2423
Desiree Ison v. Verizon Services Corp., et al
PA – Lonnie C. Simmons; J – Zakaib
* Desiree Ison filed a suit against Verizon Service Corp. after she claims she was fired because of her disability. Ison suffers from depression and anxiety attacks. She missed several days because of her depression, but claims her leave was approved. However, she was fired, which she claims is a violation of the West Virginia Human Rights Act. Ison seeks compensatory damages, a full reinstatement to her position as a telemarketing representative, with all salary increases, bonuses and other related fringe benefits. She also seeks punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2425
Danny Ray Ferguson v. Rockspring Development Inc., a Delaware Corporation, Foundation American Coal Holding, LLC, Neweagle Industries, Neweagle Mining Corp., Neweagle Development Corp.
PA – L. Lee Javins, II; J – Kaufman
* Danny Ray Ferguson, a Mingo County resident, has filed a lawsuit against the operators of a Wayne County mine, after he was injured while working. Ferguson was working in the Camp Creek No. 1 mine in East Lynn when a kettlebottom fell on him, crushing his right leg. A kettlebottom is the preserved cast of an ancient tree stump, which is embedded in the roof strata. They often cause injury and even death if not properly secured to the roof. Ferguson claims he sustained severe injuries and is now permanently disabled. He seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2426