Paul E. Stover v. Charles E. Humphrey, Central Parking System of Kentucky, Inc. and Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc.
PA – William D. Stover; J – King
* Paul Stover filed a suit against CAMC and Central Parking, after an employee of Central Parking, who was performing valet services at the hospital, hit his vehicle with another car. According to the suit, Charles Humphrey was driving a Mercury Grand Marquis with controls on the steering column for a handicapped driver. Stover had his car towed to Beckley, where it was repaired for $8,551. However, upon further inspection, the car was not properly repaired. Stover filed a suit in Raleigh Circuit Court, seeking compensation for the damages he had to repair on his vehicle. He also filed a suit in Kanawha Circuit Court, claiming the wreck was the fault of the hospital and parking system.
Case number: 07-C-2586
Phyllis Mae Branham and Harold Dean Branham, Sr. v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al
PA – R. Scott Marshall; J – Visiting
* Phyllis and Harold Branham filed a suit against 14 companies, seeking damages after the woman contracted mesothemlioma. Phyllis Branham claims she was exposed to dust brought home by her husband, who worked for CSX Transportation. In the seven-count suit, Harold Branham claims he has lost the general services, companionship and society of his wife. Phyllis Branham claims she suffered medical expenses, extreme nervousness and mental anguish, and her enjoyment of life has been greatly impaired. Together, they seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2600
Kitrena Michael v. Appalachian Heating and Cooling, Inc., State Auto Insurance Company
PA – J. Michael Ranson; J - Kaufman
* Kitrena Michael claims the West Virginia Human Rights Act was violated and she was discriminated against because of her race. She claims she told workers that she smelled smoke or something burning on two different occasions, but workers ignored her. Then, due to a fire in a kitchen wall, her home burned down Nov. 21, 2006. She claims State Farm Insurance denied her claims and did not reward her for anything, even though she had lost her house. Michael seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number 07-C-2616
Doris Michael and Todd Battle, by his next friend, Doris Michael v. Appalachian Heating and Cooling, Inc., State Auto Insurance Company
PA – Cynthia M. Ranson; J – Stucky
* Doris Michael and Todd Battle claim the West Virginia Human Rights Act was violated and they were discriminated against because of their race. Michael and Battle live in lower income housing in Charleston. The company that owns the house contracted Appalachian Heating and Cooling to install new heat and air conditioners. However, due to a fire in a kitchen wall, the home burned down Nov. 21, 2006. She claims State Farm Insurance denied her claims and did not reward her for anything, even though she had lost her house. Michael and Battle both seek compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2617
Tiffany Compton and Shalee R. Meade v. Fernando Luis Gonzalez-Ramos, M.D.
PA – Brian L. Ooten; J – Walker
* Tiffany Compton and Shalee Meade filed a suit against Fernando Luis Gonzalez-Ramos, a doctor in Logan County, claiming he sexually harassed them. According to the suit, Gonzalez made unwelcome sexual advances, inappropriate remarks and sexual innuendo to the women, because of their gender. He also allegedly touched the women in a sexual manner and continued to display inappropriate activity. Meade and Compton claim they walked off the job one day and refused to return to work. They seek punitive damages for the emotional distress they have suffered.
Case number 07-C-2620