Betty Hanshaw v. Bob Evans Farms, Jane Doe
PA – Eric B. Snyder; J – King
* Betty Hanshaw filed a suit against Bob Evans Farms after a bathroom stall door severed her finger. Hanshaw was a patron at the Bob Evans in Kanawha City when she slipped in the restroom and grabbed the door in an attempt to keep her balance. However, the door closed on her hand, severing an upper digit of one finger and severely cutting another. Betty Hanshaw claims she is entitled to recover damages for the injuries she suffered, as well as because of the acts of omissions of the defendants. Hanshaw claims she suffered severe injuries, physical disfigurement, medical care and treatment, punitive damages and other damages. Hanshaw seeks punitive and compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-537
Tara Whittington v. Almost Heaven Ribs, Inc., Famous Dave's of America, Inc., Hurricane Plaza, Inc., REX, Inc., Rex Donahue, Daniel Bowles
PA – Mark L. French; J – King
* Tara Whittington filed a suit against Famous Dave's, claiming she was fired from her job at the restaurant as a result of having to endure abusive working conditions and sexually charged work atmosphere. Whittington claims Rex Donahue made comments of a sexual nature. Those comments included Donahue allegedly stating that he would convert a gas station to a "blow and go" and hire Whittington to perform oral sex for paying customers, and that Donahue would employ women to provide "West Virginia special blow job" and would employ women who have no more than two teeth. Whittington claims Bowles repeatedly and constantly requested sexual favors through calls and text messages. Whittington claims she that as a result of the ongoing and continuous sexual harassment and hostile working environment, she was forced to resign in October 2007. In the eight-count suit, Whittington seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-538
James A. Nagy v. West Virginia American Water Company
PA – Maria W. Hughes; J – Walker
* James Nagy filed a suit against West Virginia American Water Company after he was fired from the company. Nagy, 54 at the time, claims he was fired because of his age. According to the suit, Nagy and another older employee were terminated from their job for their alleged participation in payment of invoices submitted by a third-party independent contractor. However, Nagy claims younger employees who were responsible for verifying the contractor's work as well, but were not fired. Nagy claims he suffered loss of back pay, front pay, emotional distress, humiliation and embarrassment, as well as punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-544
Wanda J. Love v. Kimco Riverwalk L.P.
PA – Michael B. Marlow; J – Stucky
* Wanda Love filed a suit against Kimco Riverwalk, the owner of Kroger on MacCorkle Avenue in South Charleston. According to the suit, Love went to Kroger on March 21, 2006, when she slipped on water and ice that was dripping from the roof of the entrance/exit door. Love claims she sprained and fractured her right wrist, and suffered other injuries. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number 08-C-546
Angeline Lowen v. Diversified Maintenance System, Inc.
PA – Gregory E. Elliott, Samuel Hanna; J – King
* Angeline Lowen filed a suit against Diversified Maintenance System Inc. after she was injured when she fell over a machine the company allegedly left at the top of an escalator is services. The suit says Lowen suffered numerous injuries to her body, some of which necessitated medical treatment. Lowen claims there were no warning signs posted at the bottom of the escalator to inform anyone that the escalator could not be used, and the escalator was not blocked off. She claims she suffered temporary and permanent injury, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and mental distress and will suffer future loss of enjoyment of life. Lowen seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-577
Joseph Snodgrass and Gardenia Snodgrass v. Herbert J. Thomas Memorial Hospital Association doing business as Thomas Memorial Hospital
PA – Arthur J. Chmiel, Harry F. Bell, Jr.; J – Bloom
* Gardenia and Joseph Snodgrass filed a suit against Thomas Memorial after Gardenia was injured when she slipped on grease and oil on the floor near the cafeteria. According to the suit, Snodgrass was leaving the hospital after visiting a family member when she fell on spilled grease in the hallway and was injured. According to the suit, the Snodgrasses have suffered economic, special and non-economic damages, including medical care, nursing, domestic and household services, pain and suffering, mental anguish and distress, annoyance, aggravation, inconvenience, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium and various sundry and other damages.
Case number: 08-C-593
Annie and Nathan Giudry v. Robert Grishaber, General Glass Company, Inc.
PA – Lia DiTrapano Fairless; J – Walker
* Annie and Nathan Giudry filed a suit against General Glass Company, claiming Robert Grishaber repeatedly sexually harassed Annie Giudry. According to the suit, Grishaber repeatedly touched Giudry's face, arms, hands and shoulders, and made comments about her body. According to the suit, Nathan Giudry called General Glass in December of 2007, to insist that the sexual harassment of his wife stop. However, since he made the call, he claims the company has retaliated against his wife, by taking away responsibilities, writing her up for no reason, and sign various papers regarding her work performance, as well as made it appear that Annie Giudry was going to lose her job. The Giudrys seek punitive and compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-596