Terry Joe Meadows executrix of the estate of Danny Joe Brown v. CSX Transportation, Inc., AK Steel
PA – Victoria L. Antion; J – Visiting
* Terry Joe Meadows filed a suit on behalf of Danny Joe Brown, who died from lung cancer he contracted after working in asbestos-laden environments. The suit is filed against 30 companies, including CSX Transportation and AK Steel, where Brown worked. According to the suit, Brown worked from 1955 to 1991 as a laborer and carman for Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company, the predecessor to CSX Transportation. He also worked at Armco Steel, Monsanto Chemical and Union Carbide Corporation. The suit says Brown was unaware of the dangerous propensities of asbestos and was unaware it would cause lung cancer. Meadows seeks compensatory and punitive damages for Brown's estate.
Case number: 08-C-1065
Nichole Black v. Prima Marketing, LLC, doing business as 7-11 John Doe
PA – Paul S. Perfater; J – King
* Nichole Black filed a suit against 7-11, claiming the convenience store is responsible for her daughter's premature birth after she was injured at the store. Black claims she was picking up a pair of sunglasses that had fallen on the floor of the South Charleston store when she was struck by the entrance door. Black claims she was injured and, as a result of the impact, delivered her daughter three weeks premature. Black seeks compensatory damages for her injuries and the injuries of her daughter.
Case number: 08-C-1066
Lola Jean Smith v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Actavis Group, Actavis Totowa, LLC, Mylan Bertek Pharmaceuticals, Inc., UDL Laboratories, Inc.
PA – Tony O'Dell; J – Zakaib
* Lola Smith filed a suit against Mylan Pharmaceuticals after she suffered a stroke from the high level of Digitek she was prescribed. Smith was given Digitek, a drug that treats various heart conditions, because she suffered from heart arrhythmia. However, after taking it, she suffered vision disturbance, weight loss, dizziness, fainting, cardiac instability, stroke and other damages. In the seven-count suit, Smith and her husband, Johnnie, seek compensatory damages to cover the medical expenses, as well as punitive damages for their other injuries.
Case number: 08-C-1069
Ebony Richmond v. Minxx Sports Bar and Grill, Inc.
PA – Eric B. Snyder; J – Bloom
* Ebony Richmond filed a suit against Minxx Sports Bar and Grill, a St. Albans establishment, after she was injured when hit by an intoxicated patron at the bar. Richmond claims she was at the bar May 16, 2008, when an intoxicated man passed out and collapsed on her. The fall broke Richmond's teeth, which required extensive dental treatment. Richmond claims Minxx served Jewitt an excessive amount of alcohol and continued to serve him alcohol. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1073
Jerry Lee Allen v. Tina Suchy
PA – Robert D. Cline, Jr.; J – King
* Jerry Allen filed a suit against Tina Suchy, after she failed to stop at a stop sign and hit him while he was on a bicycle. According to the suit, Suchy approached the intersection of Fairview Drive and Coal River Road in St. Albans, failed to stop at the stop sign and attempted to turn onto Coal River. Allen claims she failed to yield and collided with him while he was on his bike. Allen seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1078
Joseph M. Hutchison, III, Ann Hutchison v. 20th Century Glove Corp., et al
PA – David P. Chervenick; J – Visiting
* Joseph Hutchison, III filed an asbestos suit against 79 companies, claiming he contracted asbestosis and mesothelioma after working as a laborer at Union Carbide. Hutchison was also a professor at West Virginia University. Hutchison claims he was exposed to asbestos in the products used on his jobsites. He claims he was not warned of the dangers of asbestos. Hutchison seeks punitive and compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-1106