Valerie Johnson, Brian Pauley v. Southridge Grand Prix and Family Fun Center, LLC
PA – Ted Kanner; J – Walker
* Valerie Johnson filed a suit against Southridge Grand Prix and Family Fun Center, after she fell at the track. According to the suit, Johnson fell over a curb or step that was part of the racetrack floor. She claims she was injured. Brian Pauley, Johnson's husband, claims he suffered great and irreparable loss. They seek unspecified damages.
Case number: 08-C-1248
Amos Martin, Tammy Martin v. Bassam Haffar, M.D.
PA – Ronald M. Wilt; J – Stucky
* Amos Martin filed a suit against Charleston doctor Bassam Haffar, claiming the doctor did not diagnose or treat cancer in his liver, which spread to his lungs. According to the suit, Martin saw Haffar in July 2006, for a follow-up after treatment for colon cancer. Haffar ordered a CT scan. The suit says the scan indicated three hypo dense lesions in the right area of Martin's liver, which were consistent with hepatic metastasis. However, Haffar did not treat the cancer. Martin returned in October 2007, where another CT scan revealed extensive metastatic cancer in Martin's liver and lungs. Martin claims he suffered a substantially decreased change of cure and life expectancy. Martin also claims he has suffered extreme emotional distress and depression, loss of enjoyment of life and severe psychological damages. Tammy Martin, Amos Martin's wife, claims she has been deprived of the care, comfort and services of her husband. Together, they seek compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-1249
Sue Mills v. Lowe's Home Centers, Inc.
PA – Michelle L. Johnson; J – Zakaib
* Sue Mills claims she was injured when she fell while walking up to the entrance of the Lowe's store in Nitro. Mills claims that prior to reaching the front door, her foot got tangled in a foreign substance and she fell to the ground, injuring her head, ankle, knee, wrist and other areas of her body. Mills claims Lowe's was negligent by failing to monitor the outside front main entrance area of their store when they knew or should have known that the area would be more likely to have excessive debris, causing dangerous walking conditions. Mills seeks unspecified damages.
Case number: 08-C-1258
Michael E. Skeen and Sharon Skeen v. Arvind B. Shah, M.D., Inc.
PA – Robert V. Berthold, Jr.; J – Stucky
* Michael Skeen filed a suit against Arvind B. Shah, M.D., Inc., after he had an adverse reaction to chemotherapy medication. According to the suit, Skeens began to experience numbness and tingling in his foot after his treatment started. Skeens claims he called his doctor's office several times but was given improper medical advice from nursing personnel. Skeen eventually had to have his right foot amputated. Skeen claims he has suffered permanent injury, endured pain and suffering and will continue to endure pain and suffering. His wife, Sharon, claims she has been deprived of the consortium, society and comfort of her husband. Together they seek compensation for their injuries.
Case number: 08-C-1275
Francis, Nelson & Brison, PLLC v. David Schumacher and Pat Schumacher
PA – Paul M. Stroebel; J – Berger
* Francis, Nelson & Brison, formerly known as Schumacher, Francis & Nelson, filed a suit against David and Pay Schumacher, claiming the Schumachers defrauded the law firm. David Schumacher is a former member of the law firm, and Pat Schumacher is his wife and was the office manager of the firm. The suit says the law firm was exposed to inappropriate conduct, including the failure to repay the firm for personal purchases made through the use of an American Express Card issued to various firm members, as well as the misrepresentation of Pat Schumacher's salary. The firm seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1282
James L. Graley v. West Virginia Tractor Company, Leach Company, Daimler Trucks North American, Freightliner
PA – Michael A. Olivio; J – Berger
* James Graley filed a suit against West Virginia Tractor Company, after he was ran over when he fell of a garbage truck. Graley, an employee of Big Nitro Public Works, claims he was riding on the side of a Freightliner truck when he fell into the path of the rear drive wheels and was ran over. He suffered a broken left femur, broken tailbone, pelvic separation, damaged spleen, numerous broken ribs, a collapsed lung, broken collarbone and possible head injury with memory loss. He seeks compensation for his injuries.
Case number: 08-C-1287