CHARLESTON -– The State Law Library is offering free income tax preparation for middle- and low-income tax payers earning $42,000 or less.
Certified staff members will offer one-on-one counseling to assure that taxpayers receive credits to which they are entitled.
The program, operated in cooperation with the Central West Virginia EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) Coalition, is limited to simple tax returns. Persons who need assistance with more complicated forms, such as Schedule C (profit and loss from business); Schedule D (capital gains and losses); Form 2106 (employee business expenses); and Form 3903 (moving) will be referred to another agency.
Appointments are required and may be scheduled by calling the State Law Library at (304) 558-2607. Appointment hours are Monday-Friday 1 p.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-noon. Appointments are available now through April 15.
The State Law Library is located in the east wing of the State Capitol Complex in Building 1, Room E-404, 1900 Kanawha Blvd East. Metered parking is available near the Library Commission off the Greenbrier Street entrance to the Complex.
Documents to bring to the appointment include:
1. Proof of identification (driver's license, West Virginia state ID card, etc.)
2. Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents you are claiming or Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
3. Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents you are claiming
4. W-2, W-2G, 1099-R wage and earnings statement(s) from all employers
5. Current year's tax package booklet with forms, if you received one in the mail (those who e-filed last year may not have receive one)
6. Copies of last year's state and federal tax returns
7. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
8. Property tax receipts (if applicable)
9. Student loan interest paid in 2008 (if applicable)
10. Dollar amount of economic stimulus payment received in 2008
11. Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
12. Total expenses paid to daycare provider and provider's tax identification number (Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
13. If married-filing-jointly, both spouses must be present to sign the required form to file electronically