Donnie Tiller v. Bruce C. Miller
PA-Paul E. Biser; J-James H. Young
* Tiller was driving his 1986 Harley Davidson along Route 52 in Lavalette when Miller failed to yield the right of way. This resulted in Miller crashing his car into Tiller's motorcycle, according to the suit. Tiller claims he has suffered medical expenses in the amount of $15,000 and lost wages in the amount of $10,000. He is seeking compensation for those losses.
Case number: 09-C-007
Gregory W. Keyser and Amy Keyser v. Regional Mine Service LLC, Rockspring Development Inc., New Eagle Mining Corp.
PA-Steven Thorne; J-James H. Young
* Keyser was working as a coal miner at the Camp Creek No. 1 Mine in Salt Rock. In April 2007, he was assigned to drive a track mounted, self-propelled mantrip to an area of the mine. Keyser claims the mantrip had problems with the brake system. According to the suit, Keyser was in the mantrip when the brakes stopped working. This caused the mantrip to travel backward down a slope, eventually derailing at a curve and striking an arch roof support beam, according to Keyser. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-014
George Robinson and Elizabeth Robinson v. Rod Jenkins and Mary Jenkins
PA-Robert P. Martin, James W. Marshall; J-James H. Young
* The Robinsons were renting a property in Lavalette to the Rod and Mary Jenkins. According to the suit, Mary Jenkins was cooking on the stove and left it unattended. When she returned, the house was allegedly filled with smoke and a pan of grease was on fire. The Robinsons claim the cost to repair the damage to the house was $17,139.16. They are seeking compensatory damages in that amount.
Case number: 09-C-021
West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways v. Charles E. Wilkinson
PA-Eric B. Hudnall; J-James H. Young
* The WVDOT is attempting to construct "Dickinson Dam Road" as part of the primary system of state roads. In order to construct the road, the state must pass through land owned by Wilkinson. The WVDOT offered Wilkinson $12,200 for the property and he declined, claiming the property was worth more. The state agency is asking the court to condemn and appropriate for public use the piece of land and also to determine a fair market price to pay Wilkinson.
Case number: 09-C-023
Katie Baldwin v. James Bailey
PA-Kerry Nessel; J-James H. Young
* Baldwin and Bailey were involved in a automobile accident and Baldwin claims Bailey was at fault. According to the suit, Baldwin suffered serious bodily injuries and has incurred medical expenses in excess of $17,000. She is seeking compensatory damages in excess of $100,000.
Case number: 09-C-031