Joseph Starcher and Tammy Scarberry Starcher, et al v. James A. Kaplan, M.D. and the West Virginia Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
PA – Brent Kesner: J – Tod Kaufman
* The plaintiffs claim two of their children died in a house fire. The remains were sent to the Chief Medical Examiner's office for autopsy. A mistake there caused the family to bury the wrong remains.
Case number: 09-C-388
Brandy Thomas and Nancy Devine v. National Alliance on Mental Health and Rhonda McCormick
PA – Michael Olivio and Shawn Romano: J – James Stucky
* The plaintiffs say they were fired from their jobs with the defendant employer in 2008 and have been refused back wages until they undergo counseling.
Case numbers: 09-C-428 and 09-C-429
Sherry Patterson and Mitchell Patterson v. Calhoun County Board of Education, et al
PA – Tim Carrico: J – Jennifer Bailey Walker
* The plaintiffs are seeking damages for the alleged 2008 hazing of Mitchell by four other members of the Calhoun County High School football team. Local school officials had previously found no evidence of hazing related to the incident.
Case number: 09-C-446
James C. Casdorph and RuthAnna Casdorph v. Edens Fork Home Place
PA – Mark Atkinson: J – Charles King
* The plaintiffs say the defendants owe them back rent under a lease agreement that runs from April 17, 2004 to April 16, 2009. The piece of land in question is rented to the defendants for $42,000 a year.
Case number: 09-C-449
Frank Harper v. Catenary Coal Company and Joey Bartley
PA – Michael Aloi: J – James Stucky
* Harper claims the coal company should have known that Bartley operated a front end loader in a reckless manner. Harper says Bartley loaded a large boulder into the truck he was driving, causing him to be jarred around in the cab. The work was being performed at a strip mine on the border of Kanawha and Boone counties.
Case number: 09-C-455
Joseph M. McLaughlin, administrator of the estate of Melissa McLaughlin v. Estate of Jerry Dale Ellis and Mandy Smoot
PA – Raymond Nolan: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff is the husband of a woman who was killed in a car crash in Jefferson in 2007. Ellis was driving a Jeep Cherokee allegedly owned by Smoot when he crossed the centerline on U.S. 60 and hit Melissa's vehicle head-on. Both Melissa and Ellis died in the crash.
Case number: 09-C-457
Charleston Area Medical Center v. Joshua G. Cooper
PA – Francis C. Gall Jr.: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff says the defendant owes $6,063 for services rendered in February 2008.
Case number: 09-C-459
David S. Harless v. Scott Segal
PA – Pro se: J – Louis Bloom
* Harless says Segal, an influential Charleston lawyer, used his connections to get him suspended from practicing law in 2004. Harless said Segal complained to the West Virginia State Bar after Harless left a religious note at Segal's law office.
Case number: 09-C-465
Gerald B. Hough v. Robert Farley, Ted Spring, New River Community and Technical College, David R. Perkins and Educational Enterprises
PA – Pro se: J – Irene Berger
* Hough, a professor at the defendant college is seeking an injunction to stop an ongoing evaluation of Spring, the college's president. Hough claims that Perkins, another professor at the college, is conducting the evaluation in violation of state laws related to conflicts of interest.
Case number: 09-C-467
Deborah Akers and James Akers v. City of South Charleston
PA – John Kennedy Bailey: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiffs say the city was negligent in allowing a section of sidewalk to fall into disrepair, causing Deborah to trip and fracture her wrist.
Case number: 09-C-471
Arthur Moss and Helen B. Moss v. John Cook and Chuck Boggs
PA – Pro se: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiffs say the defendants owe them $15,654 for repairs on a property in Cross Lanes the plaintiffs have rented for 10 years and running an elderly care home out of.
Case number: 09-C-475
Geovany Miranda v. Lisa Keiffer and LaVany LLC
PA – Stephen P. Hoyer: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiff claims he and Keiffer have 50 percent stakes in LaVany, but Keiffer is trying to cut him out of the business by telling federal and state officials he's an illegal alien.
Case number: 09-C-479
Christopher B. Mitchell v. Kanawha Valley Construction and Erection, Inc.
PA-Mark Carbone and Jeffrey Blades; J-Louis Bloom
* Mitchell claims he was injured on a job site at Barboursville Middle School in 2008. He's seeking damages under a claim of deliberate intent.
Case number: 09-C-482
Karis Drake and Kay Drake v. General Motors Corporation
PA – Michael Glasser: J – Tod Kaufman
* The plaintiffs say the 2008 GMC Canyon they bought is a lemon and the defendant has refused to rectify the situation.
Case number: 09-C-487
Donna Rae Miller and David Miller v. City of Charleston and General Corporation doing business as KVB Corp.
PA – Michael J. Del Giudice: J – James Stucky
* The plaintiffs are suing the defendants over injuries Donna suffered after tripping on a brick sidewalk in disrepair.
Case number: 09-C-488
West Virginia Department of Administration, General Services Division v. Howard Gentry
PA – Barbara H. Allen: J – Louis Bloom
* The state is seeking $56,162 in damages from Gentry's driving his vehicle into the Veterans Memorial at the state Capitol Complex in 2007.
Case number: 09-C-493
Donald D. Dawson v. Lt. Michael Corsaro and West Virginia State Police
PA – Barbara Schamberger: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff is seeking an injunction against Corsaro from requiring the plaintiff from registering with the State Police as a sex offender. The plaintiff says he is not required to register under state law.
Case number: 09-C-502
Drema Igo v. Charleston Memorial Hospital, now known as CAMC Health Systems
PA – Frank Armada: J – James Stucky
* Igo claims staff at the hospital mistakenly implanted an intrauterine device in her during a 1973 surgery. After allegedly causing Igo years of pain and discomfort, the IUD wasn't discovered until 2007 and had to be removed.
Case number: 09-C-505