Janet Williams v. Mark Simpson, DDS
PA – James R. Akers II: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiff claims the defendant, a dentist, failed to adequately address lesions in her mouth that eventually developed into cancer. She is seeking damages.
Case number: 09-C-508
Teresa Posey v. Jim Rubenstein, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Corrections, et al
PA – Matthew J. Woelfel: J – Charles King
* The plaintiff, an inmate at Lakin Correctional Center in Mason County, claims she was sexually abused by a teacher at the prison in April 2008. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-510
Sada Martin v. John R. Mitchell Sr. and John R. Mitchell and Associates
PA – Richard Lindsay: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff hired the defendant law firm to handle her medical malpractice claim. But the plaintiff claims the firm served the wrong defendants and the statute of limitations on the claim expired and the case was dismissed by a judge. The plaintiff seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-511
Harrell Memorial Nursing Home v. Virginia S. Keenan and Mansfield S. Keenan II
PA – Thomas H. Vanderford IV: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff claims the defendants owe $44,703 for services rendered from June 2008 to March 2009. The plaintiff believes the defendants have the assets to pay the bill.
Case number: 09-C-514
Anthony S. Adkins and Rachel L. Adkins v. Jody Johnson dba Johnson's Used Cars
PA – Sara Bird: J – Charles King
* The plaintiffs claim the defendant sold them a van that turned out to be a lemon. They are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-516
Candice Dotson v. Tim Williams
PA – Pro Se: J – James Stucky
* This case was originally filed in magistrate court with the plaintiff accusing the defendant of harboring her stolen dog. The defendant asked that the case be removed to circuit court because the plaintiff won't stop harassing him about the dog, which he claims ran away last year.
Case number: 09-C-507
Charleston Area Medical Center v. Heather L. Berry, et al
PA – Francis Gall: J – Louis Bloom, Jennifer Bailey Walker, Charles King and Tod Kaufman
* The plaintiff filed eight complaints against as many defendants seeking a total $110,691 for services rendered.
Case numbers: 09-C-520 through 09-C-524 and 09-C-532, 533 and 539
Mary Jane Brown v. Charleston Area Medical Center and General Anesthesia Services
PA – David A. Sims: J – Charles King
* The plaintiff claims that an improperly inserted IV damaged tissue in her left arm, causing her to lose the use of both her left arm and hand.
Case number: 09-C-526
James D. Kelly v. Highland Hospital Association, et al
PA – Henry R. Glass III: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff claims he was injured during a stay at the hospital on March 26, 2007 and he claims the hospital won't give him access to relevant medical records. He's seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-528
Melissa Williams v. Icon Laser Eye Centers and Richard Rashid MD
PA – Travis E. Ellison III: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff is suing over alleged damage to her eyes after getting Lasik surgery on March 13, 2001. She's seeking compensatory damages and legal costs.
Case number: 09-C-530
Sandra K. Leuellen v. Brogan Rose Jr. et al
PA – Damon L. Ellis: J – James Stucky
* The plaintiff is suing over her daughter Cheyenne Hise's death on Aug. 12, 2008. The plaintiff blames an improperly vented swimming pool heater that she says emitted carbon monoxide into the area where her daughter slept.
Case number: 09-C-535
R. Robert Samples v. George Manahan
PA – Harry F. Bell: J – James Stucky
* The plaintiff says the defendant is improperly expelling him from a company they formed together -– The Manahan Group. The plaintiff is seeking an injunction and damages.
Case number: 09-C-543
Pamela A. Lawson and T.M. by her mother Myesha McNeil v. Kanawha County Board of Education, et al
PA – Cynthia E. Evans: J – Charles King
* The plaintiffs blame the school board for not addressing an alleged mold problem at Andrew Jackson Middle School, which they say made them both sick in 2008.
Case number: 09-C-536
Rebecca J. King and Larry King v. Dunbar
PA – James B. Lees: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiffs are suing the city over Rebecca's tripping on a pipe sticking out of a sidewalk on Feb. 3, 2008. They're seeking compensatory damages and legal costs.
Case number: 09-C-538
Geneal Berkhouse, individually and as conservator and guardian of Billy J. Berkhouse, a protected person v. Melissa Newman and John Doe companies 1 and 2
PA – Tammy Bowles Raines: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiffs are suing over Newman's allegedly hitting Billy with her vehicle while he was a pedestrian on Capitol Street on June 7, 2008.
Case number: 09-C-542
Lucena M. Overbaugh and Jessie W. Overbaugh v. CAMC and CAMC Memorial Hospital
PA – William A. McCourt Jr.: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiffs, who are husband and wife, are suing over Lucena's falling on a transition ramp at the hospital on Jan. 16, 2008. Lucena says she injured her back, right hip, right leg, right knee and right foot. The plaintiffs are seeking damages for the injuries and loss of consortium.
Case number: 09-C-546