Paul Mattox v. Fairmont Homes LLC
PA – Richard L. Earles: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiff, who is secretary of the state Department of Transportation, is seeking $43,056 from the defendants, whom the state claims damaged a road in Marion County while hauling a modular home.
Case number: 09-C-803
Kenneth A. Chapman v. Con-Way Freight and S. Daniel Harmon
PA – Gene W. Bailey: J – Jennifer Bailey
* The plaintiff claims he was fired the day after suffering a work-related injury.
Case number: 09-C-805
Blessing Eya v. Charleston Hospital Inc. d.b.a. St. Francis Hospital and Mary Beth Smith
PA – Geoffrey Ekenasi: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff claims she was fired from her job at St. Francis and put through a mental hygiene hearing because Smith, who allegedly is in charge of hiring, has a problem with the plaintiff's ethnicity.
Case number: 09-C-820
Jane Doe, a minor, by her next friend Jessica Stultz v. Racing Corp. of West Virginia d.b.a. Tri-State Racetrack and Gaming Center d.b.a. Mardi Gras Gaming and Earl Lee Conway
PA – Thomas A. Rist and Dana F. Eddy: J – Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff, a 12-year-old girl, claims that racetrack security failed to protect her from alleged repeated rape and sexual assault at the hands of Conway, who worked in the dog kennel area.
Case number: 09-C-821
Amy Drake v. McJunkin Red Man Corp.
PA – Mark A. Atkinson: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff claims she was fired from her job on Feb. 23 based on her unspecified disability. She's seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-826
Alan Thor and Pamela Thor v. Gibson's Home Repair and John Gibson
PA – Cameron S. McKinney: J – Jennifer Bailey
* The plaintiffs say they entered into a $66,500 home improvement contract with the defendant company. The plaintiffs say the company did substandard work. They're seeking compensatory and punitive damages and other relief.
Case number: 09-C-827
Judith Bird, representative of the estate of Larry Wayne Bird v. Weatherby Processing, Magnum Coal, Patriot Coal Corp. and Gregory Williams
PA – Anthony J. Majestro and Anthony Salvatore: J – James Stucky
* The plaintiff is seeking damages over Larry's work-related death in Jan. 2008 related to an accident at a coal preparation plant in Ohley, Kanawha County.
Case number: 09-C-838
Danny Johnson and Lisa Johnson v. Verizon West Virginia
PA – David H. Carriger: J – Charles King
* The plaintiffs are suing after Danny, a maintenance technician for Comcast Communications, fell from a broken utility pole near Bluefield.
Case number: 09-C-841
Julia Swagger v. Famous Dave's of America
PA – Shannon M. Bland: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff was a customer at the Famous Dave's restaurant in South Charleston when she claims she was injured by slipping on a wet floor.
Case number: 09-C-846
Stephen Parrish v. Marilou McClung and Richard McClung and Yamaha Motor Corp.
PA – Brent K. Kesner: J – Irene Berger
* The plaintiff claims he was injured in an all-terrain vehicle wreck while working on the McClung's farm near Ravenswood.
Case number: 09-C-854
Charles Farmer v. Grand Aerie Eagles, Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie #519 and Herbert Barker
PA – Christopher T. Pritt: J – Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiff, a 70-year-old retiree, claims he was beaten by Barker, an Eagles trustee, outside of a lodge in Charleston.
Case number: 09-C-854
Thelma J. Hern v. Charleston Area Medical Center and Central Parking System of Kentucky
PA – Kimberly E. Williams: J – Charles King
* Hern was at a CAMC facility as a patient when she claims she was knocked unconscious by a parking gate arm.
Case number: 09-C-855
Verizon West Virginia v. West Virginia Department of Transportation and Division of Highways
PA -- Diana Leigh Johnson: J - Paul Zakaib
* The plaintiffs say the defendants damaged an underground conduit containing a telecommunications cable during excavation work on National Road in Wheeling.
Case number: 09-C-864
Catherine E. Moore v. Lane Group LLC
PA -- Steven J. Conifer and Susana Duarte: J - Louis Bloom
* The plaintiff says she rented an apartment from the defendant company, which is owned by state Delegate Patrick Lane, which was unfit for human habitation.
Case number: 09-C-865
Jason Lycans v. McDonald's Corp., et al
PA -- Bree Whipp Ogle: J - James Stucky
* The plaintiff says he's suffered emotional damage after finding a fingernail in his iced mocha.
Case number: 09-C-868
Deborah F. Young v. Gene H. Young
PA -- Ann L. Haight: J - Jennifer Bailey Walker
* The plaintiff says the defendant, her brother, unlawfully has some of her belongings and half her deceased father's estate. According to the complaint, the brother had been appointed executor after the father's death in late 2008 and used the police to evict the plaintiff from the father's house, where she had been living while she cared for her parents.
Case number: 09-C-871