HUNTINGTON -- Nearly 40 percent of the lawyers at Huddleston Bolen were listed in the publication, The Best Lawyers in America 2010.
Nineteen attorneys representing all of the firm's offices in Huntington and Charleston in West Virginia and Ashland and Louisville in Kentucky were recognized.
Moreover, the firm was ranked the number 1 law firm in the nation in Railroad Law, and named the number 1 firm in both Kentucky and West Virginia in Railroad Law. The firm was also named Number 1 in West Virginia in Securities Law, Mass Tort Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, and Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law.
In total, the firm was top ranked in 32 individual categories.
The individual accomplishments of several of the firm's lawyers are also notable.
Marc Williams was listed in eight categories, the highest number of categories of any lawyer in the state. Bob Massie was listed in five categories and J. H. Mahaney, Tom Murray, and Andrew Zettle were all listed in three categories. Murray also has the distinction of having been recognized in Best Lawyers for 14 consecutive years.
"We always are honored to be recognized by a publication as well-respected as Best Lawyers," said Tom Gilpin, chair of the firm's Management Committee said. "The litany of individual and firm-wide recognitions this year is evidence that everyone in our firm is deeply committed to providing outstanding service and results for our clients. I believe that our lawyers really are some of the best in America and we are proud to be acknowledged for our accomplishments."
Attorneys who were individually recognized by Best Lawyers are:
* Dick Bolen, a partner in the firm's Huntington office, was named in two practice areas: Natural Resources and Oil and Gas law.
* Jim Cleveland, a partner in the firm's Ashland office, was selected for his work in Railroad Law.
* New to Best Lawyers this year, Dan Earl was honored in two categories: Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions law.
* Tom Gilpin, chair of the firm's Management Committee, was recognized for his work in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law.
* Jan Holbrook, who heads the firm's Bankruptcy Practice, was also listed in the area Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law. Holbrook maintains offices in both Huntington and Ashland.
* Angela Konrad, based in the firm's Huntington office, was named in the area of Railroad Law.
* Luke Laffere was recognized for his efforts in Mass Tort Litigation and Railroad Law.
* J. H. Mahaney, of the firm's Huntington office, was recognized in three areas: Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation, and Railroad Law.
* Bob Massie was honored in five categories this year: Insurance law, Mass Tort Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, and Railroad Law.
* Tom Murray is among an elite list of lawyers who have been recognized in Best Lawyers for 14 consecutive years. In the 2010 list, Murray was listed in three practice areas: Banking Law, Corporate Law and Securities Law.
* Kevin Nelson, managing partner of the firm's Charleston office, was listed in the area of Labor and Employment Law.
* K.J. Oehler, based in the firm's Louisville office, was recognized for her work in Railroad Law. This is the first time Oehler has been recognized by Best Lawyers.
* Chris Plybon, who works in Huntington, was named to Best Lawyers for his work in Real Estate Law.
* Mary Sanders, based in Charleston, was selected in the areas of Insurance Law and Product Liability Litigation.
* Scott Sheets, who head's the firm's Huntington-based Labor and Employment Practice, joined the Best Lawyer ranks this year, being named for his work in Labor and Employment Law.
* Bruce Stout was recognized by Best Lawyers for the 10th consecutive year for his work in Trusts and Estates Law.
* Jim Turner, a partner in the firm's Huntington office, was recognized in the area of Railroad Law.
* Marc Williams was honored in eight practice areas this year, including Appellate Law, "Bet-the-Company Litigation", Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice, Mass Tort Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, and Railroad Law. Williams was listed in the category of "Bet-the-Company Litigation" for his work in complex cases, including fast-moving injunction proceedings, mass tort and product liability cases requiring national coordination and strategy-setting, high-damages cases susceptible to pretrial disposition on motion, and significant appeals. He is ranked number one in the State of West Virginia for being named to the most practice areas.
* Andrew Zettle was named to Best Lawyers for his work in three areas: Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Energy Law, and Environmental Law.
Published by Woodward and White since 1983, Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive annual peer-review survey. For the new U.S. edition, more than 24,126 leading attorneys cast more than 2.8 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in the same and related specialties.
Because of the rigorous and transparent methodology used by Best Lawyers, and because lawyers are not required or allowed to pay a fee to be listed, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor. Corporate Counsel magazine has called Best Lawyers "the most respected referral list of attorneys in practice."
Huddleston Bolen is a full-service law firm representing global corporations, national companies, regional businesses, entrepreneurs, and individuals. Founded in 1871, Huddleston Bolen represents clients in many areas, including banking and finance, health care, insurance, litigation, labor and employment, natural resources, real estate, transportation, and trusts and estates.
For more information, visit the firm's Web site at www.huddlestonbolen.com.